1998 Sunfire few questions? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1998 Sunfire few questions?
Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:48 AM
Recently purchased a 1998 Sunfire 2200 5 speed. The speedometer is all over the place and sometimes isn't working. Im assuming this is the VSS? This is on the drivers side top of transmission correct? Also I think they removed the controls for the sunroof, how hard would that be to replace? Car seems to run pretty good, just gotta remove all the autozone upgrades.

Re: 1998 Sunfire few questions?
Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:48 AM
Is the check engine light on throwing a code for the VSS?

It might be a gauge cluster problem. Would be easy enough to pull one from a yard, or hit up ebay.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:06 AM
I had the same problem, I would get the Check engine light and then the car would run good after the light came on, Changed the VSS with no help then changed the stepper motor in the cluster and problem solve. Good luck.
Axel
Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:34 PM
Well the check engine light is on, I unplugged the vss. Today I plugged the vss back in and it works again. How hard was it to replace that stepper motor? The Sunfires have a digital mileage deal and I don't wanna replace with one that has way more or less than I already have or is that stored in the computer also?
Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:48 PM
The digital display has nothing to do with the car. The actual mileage is stored in the BCM.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:51 PM
2000+....Yes the odometer is stored in the bcm.

However....

He has a 1998....no bcm....it is stored in the cluster.

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:40 AM
colt45 wrote:The digital display has nothing to do with the car. The actual mileage is stored in the BCM.

FAIL
zsquee24 wrote:2000+....Yes the odometer is stored in the bcm.

However....

He has a 1998....no bcm....it is stored in the cluster.

WIN

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, April 22, 2011 3:40 AM
BTW, what codes come up when you scan to see why the CEL is on?

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:09 AM
I didn't even read the title.

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:34 PM
My Dads buddy has a scanner that im gonna borrow this next weekend. The speedometer has been working except if I really get on it and shift fast the speedometer goes to zero and then goes to where it should and works fine, maybe like 10-20 second delay. It also sometimes does it when its cold and I shift normal. Maybe when I unplugged it there was some buildup in the connection. I noticed quite a bit of oil sludge down around that area. Car runs a little rough when cold but so did my 91, probably just the way of the 2.2
Monday, April 25, 2011 3:01 PM
Hello Andrew
Your speedometer is intermittent, quit goofing around and go to the Junk yard buy a Instrument cluster and change it. Its that simple. Its probably a good idea to clean the sludge then after that change the cluster. Or maybe you can send it in and have it rebuilt by a pro, but that still involves taking it out and reinstalling.

Good Luck Axel

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:21 AM
Axel wrote:Hello Andrew
Your speedometer is intermittent, quit goofing around and go to the Junk yard buy a Instrument cluster and change it. Its that simple. Its probably a good idea to clean the sludge then after that change the cluster. Or maybe you can send it in and have it rebuilt by a pro, but that still involves taking it out and reinstalling.

Good Luck Axel

Well.... I was trying to as some additional questions to get a more clear understanding on what the actual problem with the car is. But, I guess some people know how to instantly diagnose a problem via the internet. Throw parts at it right away.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:18 PM
I might go get a new cluster from the jk, but im going to wait and see if it acts up again. The stupid exhaust broke right under the engine, basically right after the clamp. I think im going to go to the junkyard and see if they have any decent looking exhausts. We circle track race so im all about cheap easy redneck ingenuity. Car runs really well, just really loud. Hopefully I can get my 91 sold soon so I can put some money in this car. Im only probably gonna have this car six months to a year. I wanna buy either a Cavalier eco, Cobalt, or Saab. Im starting a new good paying job just need to get this car reliable enough to drive 70+ miles each way for at least a month. I love the j-bodies. We've owned 6 between the race cars and street cars.
Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:55 PM
Andrew if you live close to the twincities I have a good Cluster you can have for free. My Sunfire was totaled and I saved some parts, me being the pack rat that I am. Or if you want to try to change the stepper motor I can send you one. PM me. Good luck Heck I even have a VSS if you want that?
Axel
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search