Engine running hot. Not overheating but hot - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine running hot. Not overheating but hot
Thursday, May 05, 2011 10:40 PM

hey guys,

I got GREAT HEAT in the cavalier..I bled that from the bleeder and got alot of hair from it.... I know that there is a bleed proceedure on this car and I just got a kit to help me burp the cooling system... I noticed something that I need some advice on

the heat comes out great in the car....But the car runs hot...I put my hand on the radiator when the temp guage is alittle above the mid mark and its cold... Cooling fan is running as soon as the car starts.. and the low coolant light is on. Im thinking could I have put the thermostat in backwards?. Im pretty sure I didnt cause i think it only goes in 1 way..upper radiator hose gets really tight and top bleeder valve shoots out alot of air.. do I just have alot of air or did I put that thermistat in backwards?

Re: Engine running hot. Not overheating but hot
Friday, May 06, 2011 3:37 AM
Unplug the coolant level sensor in the coolant tank. They're notorious for turning the light on, so you can replace it if you wish, but unplugging it will make the light go out.

A friend of mine had a 2.2 that kept overheating after a shop did a HG to it. All I did for bleeding the air out, was open the cap. Had him start the car, and let it idle and warm up. Then I stood there and watched the coolant level in the tank. At some point, you'll see it start rising . Then I'd have him shut it off. After that I'd see air bubbles come up through it. Repeat until it stops burping air. You'll probably have to add coolant during this, obviously.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: Engine running hot. Not overheating but hot
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:47 PM
UPDATE

car runs great, I got oen of those burping funnels and made my own screw cap attachement.. car runs great and everything is fine!, thanks for all your help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search