95 Cavalier engine in a 97 Sunfire (HOW TO BYPASS CAM CENSOR) - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 Cavalier engine in a 97 Sunfire (HOW TO BYPASS CAM CENSOR)
Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:18 PM
So I was doing some research on the web and no one has a thread on how to do this swap without swapping the harness and ecu. Well I have figured out a solution to bypass the cam angle censor which a 95 block does not have a spot for. First off I used my 97 Sunfire Coilpack, 97 Sunfire ecu, 97 Sunfire harness, 95 engine complete with intake and egr and 97 Sunfire 2 plug crank censor. I just finished this swap, it runs great so I know it works. The purple wire off of the crank shaft position censor is the signal wire you will need to tap into. Then there is a 3 wire harness that goes to where the cam position censor would be; there are 3 wires that go to the cam position censor: the red one that is on the right (is the power), the middle wire (is the ground), and the one on the left side is the one you need to tap into and connect to the purple wire (that is on the crank censor).

Re: 95 Cavalier engine in a 97 Sunfire (HOW TO BYPASS CAM CENSOR)
Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:19 PM
Thats not correct. The cam sensor should see a pulse every other crank rotation. Instead I would try using the saturn style cam position sensor that uses the ignition coils. IRRC certain ld9 coil swap guys have to do that and so do the eco guys with coil swaps.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, March 02, 2012 6:51 AM
well it works and it runs great its just a suggestion because i have read alot of threds that say u cant use a 95 engine in a 97
Friday, March 02, 2012 12:50 PM
Friday, March 02, 2012 12:59 PM
The only thing that will happen without a cam position sensor is the car will run in batch fire mode instead of sequential injection. That is what the OBDI cars ran on for years. Of course a CEL will be present but it can be turned off permanently with HPtuners.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search