No start - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No start
Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:03 PM
Hello new to the j body seen and am looking for help.I got a 2001 sunfire 2.2 about 2 weeks ago.The car has 170,000 miles and was told had the head gasket replaced 3 months ago,I can verify that by the new head bolts.Any how 3 days ago i got in it to go to work and it wouldn't start just cranks.So after work i started checking fuses under the hood everything was good.So i pulled the number 1 spark plug boot put a plug in it and had the wife crank it and I got spark.I can hear the fuel pump working but have yet to check fuel pressure,got a gauge but haven't a adapter to plumb it to the line.How does people check the fuel pressure in these cars,or better yet what do use to make it happen?

Re: No start
Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:34 PM
My Haynes manual says you need to use a T and some hose to jump between the feed line and the fuel rail. It looks like a pain in the ass. Dumb question but are you sure you have gas in the car? These cars notoriously have junk fuel level senders. I went through two pumps in mine because the gauge would only work sometimes.

Have you pulled the rest of the plugs to see what they look like? Id try a compression test since the head gasket has been replaced a dead cylinder from a blow HG can definitely make the car not start or start and run like crap.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:42 AM
Do you have any security lights on the dash? The pump will run it will spark, but the car wont fire the injectors if a security light is on
Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:24 PM
The security light is not on,I pulled the plugs which looked brand new they didn't have any tan,or brown look to them at all just like new with a fuel oder.So i finally got my fuel pressure guage plumbed into the line with a tee and got 59 psi with the key in the on position for the first 5-10 sec then dropped down to 10.With the car cranking the psi varied between 39-45 psi though.I do not no if the psi is correct or not.After that i sprayed a little carb cleaner in the tbody and cranked it and it sounded like it hit once but like it was not firing in the right spot or something.So i am wondering if maybe the timing maybe off or broken.So then i pulled the valve cover to see if the rockers are moving and they are.Before i got home with it the last time while driving it stumbled about 60 ft from my drive way and when i pulled in the drive and came to a stop it died.The next mourning is when I tried to start it with no luck.Thus being said could that stumble have been the timing jumping or am I getting way ahead of myself.Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:03 PM
Im kinda at a loss. Its possible that you jumped time if your tensioner is really shot ot the guides are busted. Do you know anybody with an OBD2 scanner that could check it for a code it may have thrown when it started to stumble?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search