Sunfire Engine Swap and Model year question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire Engine Swap and Model year question
Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:04 PM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have a question. I have a wrecked 1997 Pontiac sunfire 2.4 L GT. The drive train is in good shape and I would like to find another one with a blown motor or tranny and swap my good parts into it. But I'm not sure which model years I need to try and find. I know they made sunfires from 95 to 05. I think that I need to be looking in the 1996-2001 range can anyone confirm or deny this?
Also along the same lines, I am under the impression that it would be a relatively simple swap from my 2.4 to another 2.4, but is it possible to swap my 2.4 parts into a 2.2 and if so how hard would that be (would it require a lot of modifications)? I also know that Chevy cavilers are very similar to sunfires. Can I swap my 2.4 sunfire parts into a 2.4 cavalier? A 2.2 Cavalier? If so how difficult would either of those options be?
I really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me on this project. Thanks in advance.
John

Re: Sunfire Engine Swap and Model year question
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:37 PM
cavaliers and sunfires are the same for the most part. you can swap a 2.4 into a 2.2 car if you wanted, but it requires rewiring, there is lots of info here about that if you search. as for swapping a 2.4 into a 2.4 it is just as simple as swapping it out with the exception of the year split between 2.4's. 96-98 jbodys are the same motor and etc.. 99-02 received some changes including but not limited to, no EGR, different style knock sensor, and a few other random things. long story short it will be easiest for you to swap your motor into a 96-98 cavalier or sunfire that was already a 2.4

Have a nice day.
Friday, November 02, 2012 10:57 PM
USUALLY for a sunfire 95-02 will be ok... but i believe there was an 02 that was a 2.4L ecotec engine..
Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:02 AM
02 factory ecos are hard to find even if your looking for one... and his best bet is to stay with 96-98 for simplicity

Have a nice day.
Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:13 AM
and the 02 factory eco was a 2.2, not a 2.4.

The first post jordan made is accurate. 96-98 w/ factory 2.4 will be easiest swap into either a cavalier or a sunfire.

Friday, November 09, 2012 9:30 PM
i do agree with jordan... and my bad thought it was a 2.4 ... but keep it near your model years. and 97 to 98 didnt change anything so i would say buy what ever in that area...
Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:40 PM
What about a 1995 Sunfire? If I recall that is the first year they were made. Is the engine setup and body style different from the 95 to 97? I noticed that the consensus from above was that 96 - 98 should work best? The 95 Sunfire was not mentioned. Were there changes between the 95 and 96 model years?
Saturday, March 09, 2013 8:33 PM
95 model year was a bastard year in the 2nd/3rd gen changeover that used the 2.3 ld2 motor... i think its ld2 anyway.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:23 PM
Thanks Jordan. Are there any cosmetic differences between the 97 Sunfire ( 2 door) and the 95 Sunfire I considered trying to replace the smashed parts on mine, and a couple of 95s have popped up around me. But I'm not sure if I could transplant from a 95 or not. I pretty much need the drivers side to be the same as my 97 in order for that to work though.
Monday, March 11, 2013 10:52 AM
Should be the same 95-99 at least..

Have a nice day.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search