02/99 withEGR - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
02/99 withEGR
Friday, April 06, 2012 9:38 PM
Lately I've been seeing people argue about when they stopped putting EGR in the 99's.I hope this helps, I might just be a noob here but mine is feb of 99 and I DO have EGR. If the date is correct it does have the EGR in early 99.

wrote:there is no 99 mid year change NO 99 had a BCM and i have yet to see a 99 with an EGR
my 99 is an october and it had no EGR that leaves august and september GM wouldn't build a car a certainway for 2 months over something as small as an EGR and they wouldn't rewire a car that drastic in a mid year there are minor changes like 02 ecos have 2 different headlight schmatics but its so minor that its not worth discussing cause everything still functions the same way

Re: 02/99 withEGR
Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:06 PM
pics of the engine to prove this make sure your vin is also in the picture

find it hard to believe that your feb 99 car has egr and it was made in the same plant as my october 98 car and mine never had it

thought i would post since you quoted me there

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:23 PM
all 98's had it.. i dont what ur talking about not a 2.4.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, April 07, 2012 2:09 PM
october 98 isn't a 98 car its a 99 model thats what i'm talkin about

typicly model years end in july thus is why most plants have a 2 week shutdoor for maintenance and tooling changes the first 2 weeks of july but do get built into august pending orders

so an october 98 (99 model) doesn't have it built in the same plant as the feb 99 i find it hard to believe gm would make that kinda change mid year backwards

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:07 PM
Mine was made in June or July of 99, mine did NOT have a EGR

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:43 PM
One of mine is june 99, and the other is march if I remember correctly.

Both from lordstown, and neither have EGR.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:50 PM
mine is 08/98 no egr
Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:31 PM
I don't really want in the middle of what looks to be the start of argument, but is the purpose of claiming all 99's or what. As I don't see a mention of 2.2 or 2.4, so I guess all 99's. I've never seen a 99 out of about 10 I have seen with egr. If I am recalling right I am think of at least four of them 2.4's, with the rest 2200's. I own a 99 as well that was a 2200 at the start of it's life that had no egr. As far as a build date I am not sure as I never looked right off to actually remember it. Though I want to say last I remember glancing that mine has a 98 build date, but was made in mexico I think.

Looks like based on the Canada sticker yours was made there, as I don't think neither of my sunfires have that. Though based on what others have said and I have seen. I would say 99 didn't have egr. Wouldn't actually be one bit surprised if the door is off something else, you took a picture of another car or something stupid. Hey it's the internet
Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:03 AM
no cars were made in canada on j platform first of all
2nd its a 1 first digit vin means USA if it was a 2 then its canada
all that sticker means is that car is certified to be in canada since it was made out of country

3rd were refering to 2.4 because theres this 99 and 99.5 thing that people thing gm tweaked the car that much to change things mid year such as EGR, fuel tanks and so on

its 98 or 99 or 00

99 is a bastard year because some parts can't be used on 98 and 00 such as fuel sending units

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:03 PM
You didn't have to cock a attitude. You could have kindly put no jbody was made in canada. How ever the only reason I said it was I swore years back it was said on here some place there was. The 02/99 with egr isn't real specific, heck the only mention of motor was the eco on and 2.4 in your name I assumed it was 2.4 though based on the 2.4 users posting, but still wasn't sure what it was about.

I am also aware of the differences in the 99's being I own one and doing the 2nd swap in it again. In which you are posting in that thread. As for a bastard year I wouldn't call it one honestly. Fuel pump is the older style with the sending unit being 00+ resistance, Gauge cluster for a 99 isn't the same as other years due to the resistance (Can use a older but the gas gauge will be wrong), Injectors (00+), knock sensor (00+), o2 sensor if I recall (00+), Evap in back and of course the no egr. Speaking as to the 2.4, but isn't to bad as far as I have seen on some other vehicles.
Monday, April 09, 2012 6:52 AM
2fast4u88 wrote:I am also aware of the differences in the 99's being I own one and doing the 2nd swap in it again. In which you are posting in that thread. As for a bastard year I wouldn't call it one honestly. Fuel pump is the older style with the sending unit being 00+ resistance, Gauge cluster for a 99 isn't the same as other years due to the resistance (Can use a older but the gas gauge will be wrong), Injectors (00+), knock sensor (00+), o2 sensor if I recall (00+), Evap in back and of course the no egr. Speaking as to the 2.4, but isn't to bad as far as I have seen on some other vehicles.

hahahahaha you thought i was being a dick hahahahaha

so you wouldn't consider a 99 a bastard year the post above proves it
there are so many things that are old style and new style

the 2 years of j bodys that are wonky are 95 and 99 trust me i have been around these cars long enough to see whats the deal i have had 5 different j bodys over that time 2 i still have

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:25 AM
Ok well then looks like I have to go to my motor vin number, I'll post soon. There is always the possibility someone went and swapped a motor... But are you saying that my 99 shouldn't have egr and if it does someone swapped the 00 style into my car?? Anyway pics soon this thread is quite interesting.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:23 AM
Chris A. wrote:Ok well then looks like I have to go to my motor vin number, I'll post soon. There is always the possibility someone went and swapped a motor... But are you saying that my 99 shouldn't have egr and if it does someone swapped the 00 style into my car?? Anyway pics soon this thread is quite interesting.

Your car probably didn't have EGR. So it wouldn't matter if someone swapped an 00+ engine in.

NOTa2_4 wrote:
2fast4u88 wrote:I am also aware of the differences in the 99's being I own one and doing the 2nd swap in it again. In which you are posting in that thread. As for a bastard year I wouldn't call it one honestly. Fuel pump is the older style with the sending unit being 00+ resistance, Gauge cluster for a 99 isn't the same as other years due to the resistance (Can use a older but the gas gauge will be wrong), Injectors (00+), knock sensor (00+), o2 sensor if I recall (00+), Evap in back and of course the no egr. Speaking as to the 2.4, but isn't to bad as far as I have seen on some other vehicles.

Gotta love the knowledge that some people are throwing around, huh?

Based solely on J-body knowledge. If I had to pick one person from this thread other than myself to work on my J. I think I know who I'd pick.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:09 PM
I have to agree 99 is a bastard year, but maybe not as much as 96.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:47 PM
96 and 97 are basicly the same minus the interior options availble in 96

visually 95-97 2.2 is the same but 95 doesn't have the cam sensors and has vacuum egr 96 and 97 are electric egr and cam sensor

95 had the 2.3 and 96/97 had 2.4s

95 is basicly by itself 99 isn't as bad as 95 for wonky things i also think there fuel senders don't use venturi but this i havn't confirms as i haven't compared. its just what i have heard

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, April 13, 2012 9:29 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:

so you wouldn't consider a 99 a bastard year the post above proves it
there are so many things that are old style and new style

the 2 years of j bodys that are wonky are 95 and 99 trust me i have been around these cars long enough to see whats the deal i have had 5 different j bodys over that time 2 i still have

I didn't say dick buddy, if you assume that all the power to you. I just said attitude was all. As for the bastard year, as I said I have seen worse on other cars. The little things different on a 99 isn't a big deal to me. I was also thinking as the 95 really being the bastard year myself, as isn't it like obd 1.5 or some sorts like that? I know gm did it on a few other things with the 3.4 v6 f-bodys being one if I recall. I also didn't know we had to go to who knows most or claim that I had this many jbodys.

I had 4 and down to 2, does that make me know it all? No not really, nor do I claim to know. I've also been around them for more years than I count, just never joined here then nor do I really post due to the attitude around here to noobs. You seem to show you can do something, where it clear changes. How ever I guess it is like that on all the forums.

Either way I think you guys didn't really read his last post well. As he said But are you saying that my 99 shouldn't have egr and if it does someone swapped the 00 style into my car?? Where if I read that right he is saying 99 shouldn't have egr, where if his did he would have a 00 style. Probably a typo on his part though as it was said many times.In which 96-98 was egr, 99+ was not.
Monday, April 16, 2012 9:15 PM
My car is a bastard 99 with no EGR... winning.
Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:51 PM
we didn't answer it cause its worng and makes no sense 99 shouldn't have egr so if someone swapped in an 00 style how would that gain egr it wouldn't cause 00 didn't have it either. i have yet to see proof of a 99 that has an egr on it so myth

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:40 PM
99 is definitely a bastard year. Just look at the factory service manuals.

95 is less of a

bastard than 99 in my opinion.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:28 PM
will a header work from a 1996 2.4 on a 1999 2.4 cavi?
is the only difference the egr?
Friday, March 29, 2013 6:19 AM
Use a 99 exhaust gasket and yes it will

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:44 AM
yay I own a bastard year!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search