V6 swap info for 3rd Gens - Page 6 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V6 swap info for 3rd Gens
Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:01 PM
if your wanting to do the OBD1 you can get the tune for a turbo 3400 over at v6z24.com. wire it like the 94 5 speed like mentioned earlier and drop in a 2 bar map and that chip done. then do whatever you want for gauges.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:01 PM
I have read the sticky over and over, and have eliminated the parts of the ecm section that did not pertain to me and that left me with this snippet:

The electronics from the ODB II 3x00 FWD engines (96 and later) can be used, but in most cases require a delete of the Passlock II (anti theft) system. Also, for gauges to properly work, you may need to swap the BCM from the same vehicle.

Electronics from a 2nd gen 3.1 are also an option, but for the gauges to properly work, it is necessary to piggyback the factory 3rd gen computer and split some of the sensor feeds.

All of the computer stuff from the olds is going into the sunfire. I would like to use the sunfire gauges, but I don't have to. Will they work with the olds computer, or will I have to piggyback the sunfire computer to run them? Or should I use the cluster form the olds?
Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:08 PM
serious dude if you wanna use the sunfire gauges get an impala PCM and pin your harness for it theres 3 wires to move by the way read the sticky that applies to the 3800 3x00 is a different swap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, March 17, 2014 7:49 PM
Is anyone still on here?
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:05 AM
On where?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:42 AM
This thread, iv got a question, for someone who would be considered an "expert".
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:56 AM
jacob mahon wrote:This thread, iv got a question, for someone who would be considered an "expert".
Your best bet is to read through the thread. If a question remains unanswered, post a new thread. Stickies are not meant to be continuing conversations. They're meant to be a resource.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:23 AM
I knew that and that's why I wanted to post it here, it's something that could be very bvaluae information..
Friday, April 11, 2014 6:14 PM
I could also use some wiring answers for this twin computer nightmare.. Anyone who could provide me with some real solid answers please pm me ASAP.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:48 AM
Mike Hall wrote:I could also use some wiring answers for this twin computer nightmare.. Anyone who could provide me with some real solid answers please pm me ASAP.
Send me an email message through my profile. I'll check out what you've got.

Also, I want to put this in the sticky with regard to running a dual computer setup. I know there was an issue that SHOoff had where his odometer was jumping. It hasnt' been tried, but I think the solution to this is to add a delay circuit so that the second ECM doesn't come on right away, and possibly a delay circuit for certain connections, such as the VSS.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:45 PM
Just wondering got anyone running dual computers, where did you mount the second done in the ga it is under the dash. Wiring and mounting the computer is all that I have left to get my car up and running.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:46 PM
I'm over a year late to the party, but I mounted the second pcm to the dash bar behind the glove box, but my car was gutted.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:29 PM
I am new to the forum, signed up because of the information and knowledge from the members here,

I have a few questions, I am swapping a 3400 from a 2001 grand am. I have the entire car. I will not be needing any transmission control. and I am using aftermarket mechanical gauges so don't need any gauge control. I also plan to use an inline fuel pump (walbro 255).

basically what I'm asking is can the grand am computer be used to run the engine only?
do I need to use the bcm from the grand am at all?
can I elimate certain emissions related to the egr, cats, evap etc,...?
how can I disable the vats in hptuners? I haven't found a sure answer online.

I have hptuners software if someone would be kind enough to walk me through the process that would be awesome!

thanks in advance
Wednesday, March 28, 2018 12:44 PM
From what I understand, my 98 Sunfire with the 2.4 has a Getrag 5-speed. Is it the F23 or the 282? Where do I look to know for sure? Both are mentioned on the Cavalier's page, neither by name on the Sunfire's page. The page says the F23 is mated to the LD9, but the F23's page says that it wasn't available on the Cavy or the Sunfire until 00. Do I still need a different trans to do the swap to the Grand Am's 3.4? I see that the Grand Am only had the F23 with its 4-cylinder engines, but are the bolt patterns different between the 4t40 and the 4t45? It looks like the Olds Alero has the same engine/trans options, but I can't find anywhere where it says if the pairings were the same as the Grand Am's or not. The other factory vehicles hosting the LA1 3400 V6 don't seem to have came with a standard transmission. I see on the 282's page that it supposedly became the NVG T550. Is the LA1 (3400) or the LX9 (3500) the better V6 to swap in?
Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:33 PM
nevermind, I'll ask this on another page. Probably start a new topic.
Monday, April 09, 2018 1:17 PM
Jeffrey Womack wrote:From what I understand, my 98 Sunfire with the 2.4 has a Getrag 5-speed. Is it the F23 or the 282? Where do I look to know for sure? Both are mentioned on the Cavalier's page, neither by name on the Sunfire's page. The page says the F23 is mated to the LD9, but the F23's page says that it wasn't available on the Cavy or the Sunfire until 00. Do I still need a different trans to do the swap to the Grand Am's 3.4? I see that the Grand Am only had the F23 with its 4-cylinder engines, but are the bolt patterns different between the 4t40 and the 4t45? It looks like the Olds Alero has the same engine/trans options, but I can't find anywhere where it says if the pairings were the same as the Grand Am's or not. The other factory vehicles hosting the LA1 3400 V6 don't seem to have came with a standard transmission. I see on the 282's page that it supposedly became the NVG T550. Is the LA1 (3400) or the LX9 (3500) the better V6 to swap in?
Your 98 has an Isuzu transmission. For either the 2200 or the LD9 (2.4), the Isuzu was the transmission until 99, then in 00 GM switched to the Getrag.
What you need to do is to get the 5-speed from a J-body with a 2200 engine. The easier bolt-in would be to get the Isuzu, but you would be better off getting the Getrag from an 00-02 2200 equipped car.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:26 PM
So a much needed update for 95-99 wiring, lots of back and forth of what to use to run the entire OEM instrument cluster. This is what I've found to make everything function...

I recently swapped my 1997 base Cavalier with an LX9 block, LA1 heads and pre-gen 3100 plenum to use the older style EGR valve. Living in California I built it to be 100 percent emissions legal. Everything works as if GM designed it this way.

Here's what actually works.. Use a 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva 3100 engine harness and PCM. 1998 Pontiac Grand Am and Buick Skylark should work as well (not 100 but harness will be exact. HAS to be 1998!

The Achieva for that year uses UART data for the instrument cluster and runs 1 cooling fan. The Olds also shares the same passlock security in the column so the theft system is just a relearn. This PCM is also compatible with HP Tuners.

The only thing that will not work in the cluster is the shift light. Check engine, battery, oil pressure, tach, speedo, low coolant, fuel gauge and theft system lights all function properly. A/C will function as well since its signal is through the UART data line.

Pulling the entire stock engine harness was not necessary, a few power feeds to add and just re-pin the J PCM connector wires to the V6 connectors saves lots of headache. The V6 PCM can be mounted exactly where the original was, 95-96 you'll need to source a 97-99 PCM mounting bracket from another Cavalier or Sunfire.
Attachments
jbodysig.jpg (356k)

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Monday, April 01, 2019 12:10 PM
So basically I can just use the pcm and wire harness from a 98 grand am and just do the key relearn .. to get by the passlock
Monday, April 01, 2019 11:07 PM
That's correct, both cars share the same passlock for the security system. Mine relearned in about 2 cycles. Also if you're not using an automatic transmission, you'll need HP Tuners to change the transmission tables and set all transmission codes to "no error report" since it won't be needed.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Wednesday, May 08, 2019 5:58 PM
What the power feed that need to be connected
Saturday, December 16, 2023 4:50 PM
YES

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search