After timing chain replacement, missing at idle / Timing chain noise - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
After timing chain replacement, missing at idle / Timing chain noise
Monday, April 15, 2013 5:36 PM
Short story, replaced the timing chain(what a pain), and while trying to keep everything aligned and getting the chain i moved the chankshaft counterclockwise, thinking it would be hard i put quite i bit of force in it and it spun pretty quick. I'm not sure how it stopped(I did not hear a clank), but it didn't go too far, and i moved it back to get the chain on.

Now at idle it has a noticeable miss at idle, and doesn't have the same power at higher rpm. Ill get a youtube video up shortly.

Timing chain noise:
It was a big pain trying to get the Guide tensioner(new), I looked at it and it was about3-5 mm longer, after some wiggling and moving i got it, but was very tight. The new and old chain looked the same length.

Any thoughts?
I'm kind of guessing I might have hit a valve and bent it...

Another side note, the harmonic balancer was scrapping against the timing chain cover. I pulled it back off, tightened the timing chain cover bolts more and now it doesn't rub, but they are very close. A feeler gauge fo .3 mm barely fits. I measured the old gasket showed 3mm, the new gasket torqued down measured 3mm.. so i would guess the old would compress down a bit. I'll include a picture in the video of what it looks like

Thomas
Northern VA

Re: After timing chain replacement, missing at idle / Timing chain noise
Monday, April 15, 2013 5:38 PM
Post so i can get emailed on replys
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:13 PM
sounds like either u didnt hook something back up right or your timing is off

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:52 PM
I didnt follow up, I did a compression test, 210 205 210 220, so it wasnt a bent valve. I had the exhaust cam off, it should point between down and the crankshaft.not directly att he crankshaft as i think the book says. as for the grinding harmonic balancer, i think there was a spacer between the balacner and the timing chain ac that got left off, and my friend threw it away. I just used a big 'bushing' from tractor supply to space it and put it all back together. works like a charm. I only had the timing chain cover on and off about 4 times.

also a side note, the o ring on the coolant bleed air line(the line that runs on the top back of the engine to the coolant resevior) is a dealer only o ring. nobody i found had the right size.
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:25 PM
idk where ur from but since i dont work in a shop anymore i now work at an Advanced Auto parts and we have just about anything as far as MISC bolts nuts o rings gaskets ect ect im sure they would have the oring u need, its nothing special.

when a dumb kid at a parts counter looks in the computer and says " i dont think we have that" tell him to get out a damn book and READ or go look in the back by commercial parts. most people that work in parts stores know NOTHING abotu cars becuase its NOT a job requirement, basically if they dont see something on that screen the stand behind that sounds relative they asume they dont have it in the store when in fact alot of that misc stuff is NOT going to come up in the computer

hopefully that was somehow helpfull if not sorry for the rant

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search