[Swap Ref] GM Metric Bellhousing Pattern Engines - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
[Swap Ref] GM Metric Bellhousing Pattern Engines
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:59 PM
I thought I'd post this for the sake of reference. Feel free to add to it if you know of more DEFINITIVELY. No guessing please. Without respect to clutch, flywheel and framerail clearance these are the engines that will bolt up to the transmission found in your typical LN2 powered Third Gen. This includes the Isuzu and Getrag. There's nothing too new or crazy on here aside from maybe the Shortstar.

Lifted from Wikipedia:

GM metric pattern

Also called the GM small corporate pattern and the S10 pattern

This pattern has a distinctive odd-sided hexagonal shape. Rear wheel drive applications have the starter mounted on the right side of the block (when viewed from the flywheel) and on the opposite side of the block than front wheel drive. The 2.2l S10/Sonoma had the starter located in the same position as front wheel drive cars. A rear wheel drive bellhousing is displayed at right.

GM 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.5/3.9 L V6 (also used by AMC)
Buick 3300/3800 V6
Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 L V8
Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6
AMC/Chrysler 2.5L I4 found in Jeep Cherokee, Comanche, Wagoneer, CJ and Wrangler and Dodge Dakota
GM Iron Duke/Tech-4 2.5L I4
GM "122" 1.8/2.0/2.2 L I4
GM 5.3L LS4 V8
GM 3.5L LX5 "Short Star" V6

Re: [Swap Ref] GM Metric Bellhousing Pattern Engines
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:50 AM
Brian wrote:I thought I'd post this for the sake of reference. Feel free to add to it if you know of more DEFINITIVELY. No guessing please. Without respect to clutch, flywheel and framerail clearance these are the engines that will bolt up to the transmission found in your typical LN2 powered Third Gen. This includes the Isuzu and Getrag. There's nothing too new or crazy on here aside from maybe the Shortstar.

Lifted from Wikipedia:

GM metric pattern

This pattern has a distinctive odd-sided hexagonal shape. Rear wheel drive applications have the starter mounted on the right side of the block (when viewed from the flywheel) and on the opposite side of the block than front wheel drive. The 2.2l S10/Sonoma had the starter located in the same position as front wheel drive cars. A rear wheel drive bellhousing is displayed at right.

Buick 3300/3800 V6
Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6
AMC/Chrysler 2.5L I4 found in Jeep Cherokee, Comanche, Wagoneer, CJ and Wrangler and Dodge Dakota
GM 5.3L LS4 V8

well, now i have to build an ln2 powered jeep.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:01 AM
Brian wrote:I thought I'd post this for the sake of reference. Feel free to add to it if you know of more DEFINITIVELY. No guessing please. Without respect to clutch, flywheel and framerail clearance these are the engines that will bolt up to the transmission found in your typical LN2 powered Third Gen. This includes the Isuzu and Getrag. There's nothing too new or crazy on here aside from maybe the Shortstar.

Lifted from Wikipedia:

GM metric pattern

Buick 3300/3800 V6
Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6
GM 5.3L LS4 V8
Funny Rich. I was just thinking "I wonder what the potential is in that Isuzu V6."

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:11 PM
I was more interested in posting it for the Shortstar. May not be a bad swap but god knows I wouldnt do it.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:07 PM
I like the idea of a shortstar in a newer Catera being replaced with a 3800 L67...

Thanks for posting this info up.
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:00 PM
Brian wrote:I was more interested in posting it for the Shortstar. May not be a bad swap but god knows I wouldnt do it.
The Shortstar has been installed in a J before, but the project was then switched to an L67 and then scrapped entirely before the car ever hit the road.

The Shortstar is a tight fit, but it'll go in there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search