Engine/trans swap? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine/trans swap?
Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:01 PM
Alright guys im new here. Searched for but couldn't find any info on what im trying to do. Ok so here it is.. Im picking up a 1999 chevy cavalier with the 2200 engine in it and it has a manual trans at this time it has a bad head gasket. My plan is to change it and see how it goes. I don't know how bad the motor is at the moment but will soon find out. If it is beyond repair I have a donor/parts car that is a 2002 chevy cavalier with the 2200 but with a manual and my plan was to swap the 2200/manual out of the 2002 and plant it in the 99 now is that possible? is everything the same basically and how much work is involved. I am mechanically capable of the swap.I just don't know enough about cavaliers to answer this question on my own. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JBO!!

Re: Engine/trans swap?
Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:15 AM
I don't think the transmission is the same between them

The rest on the other hand will be. I would just pull them and separate the motors from their transmissions and swap everything after the flywheel. Check that the flywheel is the same as well, if it isn't just move it from one to the other.

Easy as pie

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:11 AM
What do you mean about not being the same? like as in interchangeability?
Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:21 PM
Yes, the 2002 is a Getrag f23 trans. I think the f23 was only 2000+ J's. Before that its the isuzu transmission I think. The getrag is a better transmission, and will bolt to the motor just the same, but the mounts and shifter on the car are different between the 2.

You CAN put the f23 in the 99, but it would be more work.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, November 25, 2013 7:45 AM
Look in the transmission forum for "isuzu to getrag swap"

There is a how-to thread on it with lots of pictures. Since you have the donor vehicle to take everything from, you're all set, but you'll have to weld to do it.

If you don't want to do the transmission swap, the new engine will go right into the 99 on the old transmission. However, there are a few differences in the engine years, so there will be parts you want to swap out. I don't know the 2200 that well to know what's different, but I know some years don't have the EGR valve. You are going to want to stick with the 99 computer and harness, because the 02 will not be compatible with the 99 body harness, unless you want to swap the entire dashboard and wiring harness, and body control module.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search