2002 cavalier front door replacement help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 cavalier front door replacement help
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:05 PM
Is there some kind of special tool needed? For 2 days I have been trying to replace my door. I have the new door on with the hinges that came with the donor car. ( long story short i left the door open when i was tired. Resulted in the door folding back) I have the new door on and can not get it to stay where it need to be. It keeps try to pull the door closer resulting it it hitting the fender) Is there something im not getting. The old parts on the car look undamaged *bolts coming out* look good. I can get pics if needed.

Re: 2002 cavalier front door replacement help
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:21 PM
I used a jack to hold the door in place. No special tools altho having the right tools makes it easier. Maybe u bent the door pillar?

ReD RaiN
Re: 2002 cavalier front door replacement help
Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:54 PM
As mentioned, the door pillar could now be bent, buggering up the alignment. If you can loosen the hinge bolt and nut on the pillar mount and do one hinge at a time you may be able to adjust the door backward a bit. Loosen the lower ones, have a helper lift up on the back edge of the door and tighten the bolt & nut back up. Loosen the uppers and weight of the door should help along. Adjust as need so it will latch when closed. If that doesn't move it back enough, you can add spacer washers or shims between the door itself and the hinges. You'll need to carefully realign those so that the door seals up properly and doesn't lean out at the top or splay out on the bottom. You may also be able to tweak the fender a bit in a couple spots for clearance.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search