passlock - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
passlock
Sunday, May 08, 2016 3:36 PM
i have a 97 cavalier racecar, long story short i snapped the key off in the tumbler while trying to pry the plastic mount off the column.
there is still half the key in the switch, but the anti-theft light is on, and the car will only run for 2 seconds. i have tried to do the 10 minute relearn and the 30 minute relearn multiple times with no luck.
ive also done the 2200 ohm resistor wired from the yellow wire to the black wire and still no luck. so a couple questions are all i have.

1- do i need the white plastic piece that goes between the metal cylinder and the black wire harness on the column??
2- do i have to have the entire key inserted fully into the cylinder??
3- does anyone have any suggestions for what to do next??

im desperate and willing to pay for the knowledge that will get my car running before my first race on saturday may 14th.

Re: passlock
Saturday, November 26, 2016 4:53 PM
Sorry this answer will be way late for your race, but better late than never. You will have to replace the ignition key cylinder and tow it to your nearest Chevy dealership to get the new key cylinder programed to your pcu. It will cost around $100-150 bucks at the dealership plus the cost of the key cylinder.
Saturday, November 26, 2016 4:59 PM
One more thing the key cylinder is chipped that why it has to get reprogrammed to the pcu.
Sunday, November 27, 2016 1:12 PM
thanks for the reply. i ended up buying one off a friends parts car. installed it, did the 10 minute relearn and the car fired right up everytime thereafter.
Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:17 PM
Have a look at this document for any future references. I read it just for the heck of it really helpful! Did not know about the VATS interrogator...

https://www.lockmasters.com/ecommerce/site/pdfs/TT4002%20Vats%20Overview%20Article.pdf
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search