97 engine into 02 chassis?? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 engine into 02 chassis??
Thursday, October 06, 2016 8:04 AM
long story short my 97 2.2 cavalier has severe rot issues, but i have a complete 02 with a knocking engine. im fairly new to j-body cars as im an original honda guy.
im wondering if i could put my 97 engine into the 02 chassis and run the 02 intake manifold and electronics?? if so what sensors in the block would i have to change(ie cam,crank, stuff like that)

if i have to i can swap the entire engine,wiring and computer from the 97 into the 02, but id like to take the easy route.

Re: 97 engine into 02 chassis??
Thursday, October 06, 2016 5:42 PM
You'd be better off swapping everything. The 97 computer is worlds different from the 02.
Monday, October 17, 2016 7:48 AM
the harness in the 97 was pretty badly hacked up so i left it in the car and scrapped it. im going to pull the knocking engine from the 02 and compare the sensors in the back of the engine. if theyre the same i am hoping to be able to put the intake manifold on the 97 engine and run with it. if not ill be looking for a new engine that will exact fit the 02. thanks for the input but i am over dealing with wiring issues in a chassis that im not familiar with in the first place.
Monday, October 17, 2016 1:29 PM
wont work the heads are different
Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:00 AM
ah wonderful. well looks like im on the hunt for a 99-02 engine or a 97 engine/dash harness.
Sunday, November 27, 2016 1:14 PM
ive been in contact with a guy from chevycavalierworld.com who sells the adaptor plate. looks like i might be in luck to use the 02 IM on the 97 engine. i just have to dig deeper into the whole crankshaft timing notches. because im not sure if the 02 pcm will recognize signal correctly from the 97 crank.
Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:14 AM
I have put a 00+ motor into a 97 chassis before, running the 97 ECU and harness. Car ran fine. I'm sure you could go the other way, but I thought the 00+ motor was better designed.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 05, 2017 10:10 AM
thanks for the reply. im going to give it a try. the intake manifold adaptor is $180 so i have that dilemma covered. now im just worried about the timing of the engine. ive read that the 97 crank has a different timing notch location than the 02. so im unsure of how the computer would react. either way ill update this thread with my findings.
Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:42 PM
troy prentice wrote:thanks for the reply. im going to give it a try. the intake manifold adaptor is $180 so i have that dilemma covered. now im just worried about the timing of the engine. ive read that the 97 crank has a different timing notch location than the 02. so im unsure of how the computer would react. either way ill update this thread with my findings.

The ECU wont know the difference in the different timing marks. Sensor sends a signal in a 5 volt range, the ECU is programmed to do certain things at certain voltages.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:25 AM
just an update, i found a complete harness from a 96. so the 97 engine is in the car and im in the process of wiring. i have bought a 96 icm, 96 knock sensor and 96 oil pressure sender. I will be de-looming the entire harness and going with the bare minimum for wiring. I will keep this thread updated as i go.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search