Car wont peel out - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car wont peel out
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:21 PM
Only like 3 or 4 times have i ever rev the engine and throw into drive to "peel out" usually to a screeching noise. Now it wont do it!!!

My questions is what did I screw up and how do I fix it. (not to do it again though)

I suspect something grinded down involving the tranny.

Re: Car wont peel out
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:41 PM

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:54 PM
IT sounds like a hardware error..

Theres a nut loose on the steering wheel.

You should NEVER drop an automatic from a rev into drive.

period, You don't look cool "peeling out" unless you've got a cammed 98 Camaro, and even then you still probably toasted something.

I would bet your trans is slipping or your badly in need for a tuneup

and CEL?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:05 PM
If you want to chirp the tires in an auto; press the brake and accelerator at the same time, bring the revs up to 2.5 or 3k RPM then let go of the brake as fast as you can. Pulling the e-brake helps too.

NEVER do a neutral drop.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:33 AM
Heh.... sounds like you've probably worn down the clutches on 1st gear pretty good. It's not gonna peel out now because they slip too badly.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:05 AM

holy @!#$! great thread.

i think the error is between the pedal and driver seat

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:06 AM
I foudn yoru problem....

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Blue
Engine: 2.2L
Transmission: Automatic
Interior: Grey

Upgrade to get more power or buy a new car.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:10 AM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:i think the error is between the pedal and driver seat

Great. Now he'll be shopping for a better floormat.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:26 AM
A.15 wrote:I foudn yoru problem....

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Blue
Engine: 2.2L
Transmission: Automatic
Interior: Grey

Upgrade to get more power or buy a new car.

What kind of engine can I put in there, can I fit a 2.2 ecotec engine in their??

seriously what should i do to repair this??? rebuild tranny or buy a new one? thats gonna be like 800 buck?!?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:32 AM
Does the transmission slip so badly that the car doesn't even "pull away" or accelerate correctly? If it was just a matter of not being able to peel out anymore, maybe that's a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:37 AM

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:38 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=38274&t=38274

theres a link on the eco swap, its preatty easy if you know what your doing....make sure you read and learn how to drive a car properly.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:02 PM
In my 96 sunfire, my tires somethimes screech from drive (goodyear eagle rs-a's) @ full accel around 3000-3500 rpms automatic... doing nuetral drops on an auto is bad... thats why you have rpm limited at 4000rpm

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:21 PM
Just rebuild the tranny and install a trans brake

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:36 AM
Yeah.... neutral drops are a sure-fire way to kill the transmission

Way to go!

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:19 AM
Rebuild the 2200 but it more money than it's worth.

2.4L is a decent option but the aftermarket is limited although, you can rebuild a 2.4L with Quad4 parts and make decent power.

2.2L Eco, IMHO is the best option for a swap. More aftermarket, it's not a dead GM engine like the Quad4 Family, and there's GM support.

As for the Transmissions, the 3 speed auto is a dog. Don't bother. upgrade to a 4 speed if you do an engine swap.

Or, don't worry about going fast and make your car look good.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:33 PM
i cant rev and drop it into drive i have traction control i only tried it once but in my old z24 i could smoke the tires all the way into third gear but it wasnt auto and it was highly modded

boost is like ice cream, there's always room for it
Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:16 PM
loose nut behind the steering wheel

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:36 PM
MizzenMast wrote:

What kind of engine can I put in there, can I fit a 2.2 ecotec engine in their??

Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:00 PM
Kardain wrote:
MizzenMast wrote:

Will that fit?

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:49 AM
Geeky wrote:
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:i think the error is between the pedal and driver seat

Great. Now he'll be shopping for a better floormat.

I'm sorry, but if you can't comprehend why you can't "chirp" your tires in your 2200 after doing a bunch of neutral drops, doing a full engine and trans swap may be a bit out of your league.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:16 AM
It's my understanding that if you have a 2200 pushrod engine, your pretty much stuck with it unless you really wan't to heavily modify your engine bay, but it is possible to put en Ecotec in a LD9 car realitivley easy since there so simular, but correct me if I'm wrong (really, I'de like to know, for when my 2.4 finally dies). As for the floormat joke, thats one of the funnier things I've heard in awhile, I usually don't litterally laught out loud when I read posts, I've got to remember that one.
Heres a lesson for you to remember for the rest of your life.....If you don't want your car to break,,,,,don't beat the wholly living crap out of it....it's that simple. I can't beleive how many people I've personally heared complaining about there clutch slipping, asking me what caused it, and when I go look at there car, the front tires are bald, and there not any older than the full treaded rear tires....dude,,,seriously...just stop beating the crap out of your car, it's not like candy is going to come out of it.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:34 AM
Ok, sorry, now that I got that out of my system, heres the "help" your actually looking for...SHOoff if right.....to be honest...he usually is. I'm a cerified mechanic, and have worked on all kinds of crap...but he knows our cars pretty damn well, you can usually believe what he has to say. All I can do is tell you that one of your bands in your planetary gearset assosiated with first gear is probably lurching a little and slipping now that you n-dropped it a few times. If the cars still drivable, just baby it and hope it lasts, because it cost about $1200 to rebuild one.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:37 AM
Weebel wrote:It's my understanding that if you have a 2200 pushrod engine, your pretty much stuck with it unless you really wan't to heavily modify your engine bay, but it is possible to put en Ecotec in a LD9 car realitivley easy since there so simular, but correct me if I'm wrong (really, I'de like to know, for when my 2.4 finally dies). As for the floormat joke, thats one of the funnier things I've heard in awhile, I usually don't litterally laught out loud when I read posts, I've got to remember that one.
Heres a lesson for you to remember for the rest of your life.....If you don't want your car to break,,,,,don't beat the wholly living crap out of it....it's that simple. I can't beleive how many people I've personally heared complaining about there clutch slipping, asking me what caused it, and when I go look at there car, the front tires are bald, and there not any older than the full treaded rear tires....dude,,,seriously...just stop beating the crap out of your car, it's not like candy is going to come out of it.

While the Eco and LD9 are similar, there are differences...

both require rewiring from the firewall forward. both require new trannys since the bolt pattern is different than the 2.2/2200, which in turn requires new tranny mounts being welded in.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:51 AM
So I guess the verdict is buy a new engine and tranny, rebuilding will cost too much right.

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:23 AM
Your engine is fine. It's slow, but it works. The ONLY reason to consider swapping at this point is to have something faster. Keep in mind, this is going take much more time, money, and knowledge than simply replacing the transmission.

You can either have the trans rebuilt, or put in a new/different one. If you have a reasonable junkyard nearby, check what the cost of a trans from a wrecked J would run. Compare that to a new/rebuilt one from a shop or online. Then decide what is more cost effective for you.

I'll warn you, the majority of your money/time will go towards removing/installing the transmission. It may be wise to look to your regional forum for help with this.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search