Center console issue/question.... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Center console issue/question....
Monday, January 11, 2010 10:47 AM
What's up folks !?! On my '96 'Fire,2 door, 5 speed....I want to do something different than stock with the shifter and e-brake boot....Thinking about modifying the console and getting separate boots for those but not sure about fitment..I know they sell the universal ones but ??? same thing, not sure of fitment....I have the stock shifter and e-brake handle on it still...those will be replaced in the future...any help or ideas.....like i said...I'm a bit stuck....Thanks !!!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Re: Center console issue/question....
Monday, January 11, 2010 12:15 PM
You cant change the shift boot it is molded to the plastic piece it self to do it would take someone who knew something about fiberglass as for the e brake handle it is an easy swap though i would go with the sunfire GT leather wrapped one they are very nice
Monday, January 11, 2010 12:53 PM
I seen the GT ones, they are pretty sweet...On mine, the shift and brake boot are together,sewn of course. Was thinking of just doing a divide in between them, beefing that up and having new boots done or modify some universal ones.....The vinyl is stapled to the plastic piece on mine too....E-brake wise I've been looking for universal ones but nothing good yet...even thought about trying to move the e-brake towards center and back a bit but don't know if it is really do able or not......

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:52 PM
Easiest way to do separate boots is to swap to the 2000-05 centre console... they come that way. And with two cupholders in the front, and two in the rear!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:02 AM
Cup holders in the rear? WTF? I never knew that.

219whp - I <3 whine

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:08 AM
Well... sort of. They're in the lid, so when you open the console and flip the lid back, they're sitting there.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:14 AM
Never looked into a 00+ plus for that...Hmm....I'll hunt one down....that flip down is in mine too...kids cant reach their sippy cups though....maybe I'll mold some into the side panels....Thanks John !!!!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:17 AM
Will that work in a cavy 2 would like a 2000 in my 97

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:42 AM
Yup, works fine in everything but the automatics, because the shifter assembly is different in the 2000-05 from the 95-99... won't line up quite right. But a 5 speed is fine, I did it with my old 98 Z24 before I swapped to the Getrag trans anyway. The other issue you may have is the power window switch... the 95-99 style doesn't fit properly into the 2000-05 console, but if you can find the newer switch with the console the connector is exactly the same and will plug right in.

I did the Sunfire GT leather-wrapped e-brake handle swap into three of my J's... still haven't done my sedan yet, but maybe in the spring

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:37 PM
I was looking into other options for the ebrake handle...maybe a different style but that a decent mod to do without a welder at my house...may just leave it alone for now..who knows..still looking for a console....last guy i talked to wanted 100 bux and it had a broken lid..think he was stoned or stupid....both maybe

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:05 PM
LIGHTNINGAUTOCUSTOMS.COM. They make boots vehicle specific. Great quality also. I am currently running blue carbon fiber shift and ebrake boots.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:07 AM
your photo bucket account has been inactive for 90 days......lol....Nice....Like them

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search