How rare is this? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Re: How rare is this?
Monday, June 14, 2010 11:53 AM
very rare well to say the least. its prob a 00 left over. they made for like a year in that style. made similar shape since 95. thats a loaded one to. well worth the price.and given its 10yrs old its getting harder to find. vs the coupes as they are a dime a dozen still.

Monday, June 14, 2010 4:46 PM
get the vin ... verts last year was supposely 2000 not 2001.

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:02 PM
azncav wrote:get the vin ... verts last year was supposely 2000 not 2001.
Quote:

Oakville, ON, Canada
Since the Canadians kept the Z24 longer, I wonder if they got the verts for a little longer as well.

Interesting, to say the least.

Monday, June 14, 2010 6:19 PM
or most likely a factory freak that somehow got rolled over as an 01 before it hit the dealership. ive not heard of any 01+ verts in any country. interesting nonetheless

Monday, June 14, 2010 6:30 PM
texted the person.. says it has a blown head gasket. i asked for the vin. HE said mabe tomorrow. go figure,

Monday, June 14, 2010 11:37 PM
It could be a leftover. When I was looking for a sunfire I came across an 06. I was like wtf? did some research and found out gm sold some 06's. I wanted it, but they wanted 12k, and it was almost 400 miles away.
Monday, June 14, 2010 11:43 PM
It's a unicorn - as in, it doesn't exist. There were no 2001 convertible J-body cars. The very last Cavalier convertible was built on December 22nd, 1999, and was most definitely a 2000 model.

And because I'm really bored... that last Cavalier convertible was white, with a black top, a graphite interior... and, of course - like most 2000 convertibles - an automatic....

John.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:09 AM
The only thing that makes it rare it's that it is a manual transmission car. Convertibles in m/y 2000 (last year) came standard with automatic only. This particular car looks to be a special ordered car, verify with the VIN if it came out of the factory like that.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:29 PM
Out of the 4,761 2000 model year Cavalier convertibles, only 180 had manual transmissions (about 4 percent). 2000 Sunfire convertibles were even more "rare" (I try to avoid that word when talking about J-body cars...)... out of 3,599 total, only 111 had manual transmissions.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:45 PM
Ryan Thompson wrote:It could be a leftover. When I was looking for a sunfire I came across an 06. I was like wtf? did some research and found out gm sold some 06's. I wanted it, but they wanted 12k, and it was almost 400 miles away.

No, GM didn't sell any 06 J-body cars.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:03 PM
I reallllllly wouldnt argue with lenko on this.... i get the impression he does this for fun in his spare time haha

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:12 PM
Funny he lists the car as in good running condition with no leaks, but then tells you it has a leaky head gasket.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:55 PM
That only leaks when the car is running. So if it is parked it doesn't leak duh...

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:03 PM
yeah the cavalier production ended before a model year usually ends july/august so theres no way theres an 06 and not to mention that tooling wasn't kept in either the mexico or lordstone plant very long after production ended both plants had new model running or coming where they needed the space

lenko might be able to comment on this but weren't the verts bbuilt in lordstone then shipped to lansing to be completed??? i thought i read that somewere that there vin starts with a 4 is this true

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:35 PM
my vin starts with a 4

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:07 AM
I can't comment to the first and second gen verts... but I know just about everything when it comes to the third gen verts... 95-00.

All vert VINs start with a 4, yes. They were all built as 'incomplete' coupes at the Lansing, Michigan plant. Then they had the supports added and the tops cut off at the Genasys plant "across the street"... where they were finished off. There's a slightly-incorrect timeline of the Genasys plant (aka the Lansing Craft Center) here: Clicky! I said slightly incorrect, because they think the unfinished coupes came from the Lordstown plant, which is not correct.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:08 PM
did they just make a few shells in lansing then seems wierd that they would have tooling there too but the possiblity is there since mexico nad ohio ran non stop to keep up with the demand

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:30 PM
Huh?

There were three J-body plants in the 95-00 years... Lordstown, OH and Lansing, MI in the USA.. and Ramos Arizpe in Coah, Mexico. All three made Cavalier and Sunfire cars... but only some of the coupes from the Lansing line were diverted to the Genasys plant to be made into convertibles.

The VIN starting with 4 has nothing to do with the plant. 4 means it's made in the USA. A 1 does also. 2 = Canada and 3 = Mexico.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:38 PM
OMG that sounds just like my vert. lol and my sticker says 1999 as production too.
Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:39 AM
Tamara Hawthorne wrote:OMG that sounds just like my vert. lol and my sticker says 1999 as production too.

What are the last four digits in your VIN?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:54 AM
my vert starts with a 1

Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:17 PM
Really? I haven't ever seen a 95 'vert.. wonder if they are all starting with a 1...?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:29 PM
In 1995 GM had a limited run of verts, more limited then a Z or GT spec. If I remember, the vert was available in spring of 1995 as a '95 model.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:38 PM
Hey lenko, how do you know what plant your j was built at? What letter in the vin tells you?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search