headlight trouble - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
headlight trouble
Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:44 PM
Hi,

I searched and did not find the same problem I have, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. My passenger side low beam is out,. I went and got some 9006 bulbs. I tried both and even the driver side working one, all don't work. I guess the socket could be bad but it happened suddenly, any other ideas out there? Is the positive wire orange?

Thanks!

Re: headlight trouble
Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:02 PM
could be a short in the harness, im current having troubles with my headlights as well

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:06 AM
Could be a short, corrosion, or a fuse, id check where the fuse is at with a dvom see if you get power there if not then its before the fuse if you get power its after and it also could be a bad ground check your ground on your battery tray

Erik Packard
Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:04 PM
Well, I finally got around to messing with this today. I got my voltmeter and attached the red probe to the orange wire side of the socket, attached black to the blue wire side. Got a reading of zero. Then, I touched the black probe to the body and got 12 volts. I figured it was a bad ground somewhere. I had an idea so I spliced a pigtail into the blue wire and attached a spade terminal. I touched the terminal to the ground I used before ( a fender bolt ) and the light worked! I was quite proud of myself till I turned the lights off and the one headlight stayed ON! Now I don't know what to try, according to a diagram I saw, the blue wire is the ground. Why the hell is the light staying on?
Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:00 PM
The headlight always has a positive feed on the orange or pink wire. The headlights on a third gen are negative switched... so if you give it a constant ground, it'll stay on all the time.

You probably have a corroded wire somewhere along the line.. the most common spot is the C101 connector under the battery tray... especially if you've had a leaky stock Delco battery at any point in time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search