v6 swap question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
v6 swap question
Friday, September 03, 2010 10:40 PM
I've been reading up on this and got a few questions. Ok I got a 95 cavi with the ln2 and was wondering wouldn't it be easier to use parts from say a 95 beretta or a gp with a 5speed?

Re: v6 swap question
Saturday, September 04, 2010 6:24 AM
parts in the sense of wat? as far as engine 3100,3400, and 3500 can all use any of the same mounts, and electronics. im not sure about pcm because ur obd 1.5. i think it talks about it in the sticky or i belive theres a post called real z24 in the making that talks about it. if u got a 95+ v6 five speed beretta trans it would bolt in like the a nvg tranny, guys swap in for there 2.4 and it would be much stronger.
Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:23 AM
Parts like what?

And 95 Beretta in comparison to what?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:32 AM
I had the entire 1994 grand am when I did my swap. It was amazing when I read the v6 swap sticky for the first time, I couldn't believe I had a 1994 n-body sitting in the yard with blown headgaskets and my cav had a 2.2 with spun rod bearing.. couldn't have worked out better.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:28 PM
i want to do the v6 swao here soon cause i got good deal on a motor, and i was wondering as far as wiring wise which is the best route to take. cause really don't know many people around here that have an hptuner or anything like that
Sunday, September 05, 2010 7:54 AM
If you use the 95 Beretta 3100 ECM, your engine will be fine with your factory trans, however I'm not sure on your gauges. Your coolant temp, tach, and warning lights may not all work properly. You could always use your 2.2 ECM for that (piggyback) if they don't work with the Beretta ECM. However, that ECM is an OBD 1.5 just like the 94-95 GA, if I remember correctly. That means you have no way to tune it, so if you do a 99+ engine, you won't be able to get it running at it's best. The other thing to watch out for with using different engine harnesses on engines is that the 02+ 3x00 engines use low impedance Multec II injectors, and the 94-01 engines use the high impedance injectors, so the ECM needs to be reprogrammed for it (which isn't possible with a 1.5 ECM).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search