100shot GOES BOOM!!!! - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
100shot GOES BOOM!!!!
Friday, August 04, 2006 10:10 AM
Well we had a huge car meet down here in Atl yesterday and ever since a guy started conversing in the forums with me about my build all these boosted honda, 300zx, sti, evo, etc guys got interested and calling me out on what I've been doing and what is in store to come. First of all many haven't seen a cavy get past the intake and muffler stage and they definately had a hard time looking at what I dyno'ed w/o throwing a BS flag.

BUT ANYWHO

Things were said, words were exchanged, and in the end I was set to race this srt-4 and slightly modded s2k. GREAT!!!11!!1!!!!

Since this was an entire atl area meet for possibly 200+ cars to come out, we met with a group on the southside of atl to cruise up. On the way up I was toying with this 5psi single turbo (converted) n/a 300zx. We were just cruising at first until he rolled down the window and told me to take it down to 2nd gear and give him a run to 65 or 70 *this is not a street racing story so.........*. Anyways, I figure I better see how this 100shot is pulling on this guy before I go against these other two later on tonight.....

I open the bottle up and hit my switch and give it some gas then WOT and BOOM...

Thought it was my friends little track civic up ahead of us because he's running open dump on 8psi and the little b16 backfires ALL the time. Then, the guy in the 300z rolls up and says, "dude, there was a huge fireball that just ripped out of your exhaust"......

I immediately drop my head and pray for the best.....

We all pull over and take a look at it and notice nothing....engine still has power, no pinging or knocking, no weird noises, anything... So I take out the 100shot jets and put back in the 50shot. It was a hot day outside and my bottle was at 1150psi, which is close to where most nitrous manufacturers say it should be. Note* that everytime I've sprayed it's been at about 900psi.

I give her a go around the parking lot and give her WOT.......This time the n2o sprays LOUD AS HELL. I'm like damn , I must have blown a hole in my intake mani or something because she wasn't pulling like she used to and it was spraying like it wasn't even in the intake......

so yea, I had a huge nitrous backfire from possible fuel puddling since the bottle pressure was @ 1150psi for the first time on such a big shot. I haven't taken a look at the intake mani but I have a feeling there's going to be a hole or something somewhere. If not in the intake mani, it'll be near the TB or something.

I usually spray a 50shot in 1st gear @ 900psi and lose some traction but now it like hesitates and you don't feel the nitrous actually start to hit until 4-4500rpm.

And it sprays louder than ever before......

So a quick question:

Could that just be how loud it is with a couple hundred more psi in the tank or should I definately take this one serious (I will anyway) and pull everything off the car intake wise?

I know I need to do option two, I just have to find the time. Thanks for reading!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Re: 100shot GOES BOOM!!!!
Friday, August 04, 2006 10:44 AM
I am pretty sure that if you had a hole in the intake mani the car would idle let alone run. The engine couldn't compensate for that much.
I remember when I forgot to put in the brake booster hose in one time, which is not that big, I started the car and it idled at like 3000 rpm.
I wondered what the hell is going on there for a sec. lol

As for the Nitrous being loud, I like that

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:19 AM
omg my idol went boom...

anyway, im just glad to see there was no detonation.... not sure what the problem is id deffinetly check the intake though.

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Friday, August 04, 2006 12:08 PM
SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:I am pretty sure that if you had a hole in the intake mani the car would idle let alone run. The engine couldn't compensate for that much.
I remember when I forgot to put in the brake booster hose in one time, which is not that big, I started the car and it idled at like 3000 rpm.
I wondered what the hell is going on there for a sec. lol

As for the Nitrous being loud, I like that

I was thinking the same thing! With a hole anywhere idle would be off like hell, especially in these J's where the smallest things equate to bigger problems.

[quote=DrÃkÉ]omg my idol went boom...

anyway, im just glad to see there was no detonation.... not sure what the problem is id deffinetly check the intake though.

Definately no detonation but their might be signs of some if I opened the engine up! I pulled the entire intake and mani off and noticed nothing, but you can see where something exploded, unless that's just mass carbon build up! It has a burnt plastic smell though, so that was gave me the conclusion..

Friday, August 04, 2006 12:30 PM
that sucks dude. I thought it was going to be something more serious by the title tho. Get that thing back together.

Friday, August 04, 2006 12:37 PM
I'm staying at 50 until I get what my sig says!

Friday, August 04, 2006 12:46 PM
lol...well thats still cool. glad to see that you were giving a good example of a modded J. Sucks that the night ended up like that though.

Friday, August 04, 2006 1:00 PM
try some seafoam to clear the build up.... maybe a valve.... to tell you the truth im really not sure

Friday, August 04, 2006 1:41 PM
btw what were your dyno runs???

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:16 PM
in his sig.....

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:03 PM
[quote=DrÃkÉ]btw what were your dyno runs???

PM'ed u the Dyno run!

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:36 PM
Any update?

Did you take apart the head and see if there was any mechanical damage? just the whole fire ball exhaust thing kinda worries me...

Check the Nitrous' feed system to include the nozzles. If it is the sound im thinking of then you might have blew one of the connections or solenoids ( the first time i sprayed i had it at about 1100psi and didn't have one of the connections on tight and it was loud as hell)

As for the not pulling as hard was that on spray or in general?

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:35 PM
mine was always loud jamal. on the dry shot anyway. the wet was never loud.

"IF YOU PERSIST IN DOING WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE .....
EXPECT RESULTS NO DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY ACHIEVED"

Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:00 PM
I cant hear mine because I have a loud muffler. I'm still contemplating on doing a 100 shot dry.

2.2 crane cams rockers for sale
2200 pushrods for sale
P.M Me...
Monday, August 07, 2006 4:20 PM
Riki Knight wrote:Any update?

Did you take apart the head and see if there was any mechanical damage? just the whole fire ball exhaust thing kinda worries me...

Check the Nitrous' feed system to include the nozzles. If it is the sound im thinking of then you might have blew one of the connections or solenoids ( the first time i sprayed i had it at about 1100psi and didn't have one of the connections on tight and it was loud as hell)

As for the not pulling as hard was that on spray or in general?

I have a spare 2200 so I basically stopped caring about it. I hung out with a couple friends who actually do alot of their own engine building and tuning on nitrous and the assured me that I was just spitting fuel in for a nice second or so and had a backfire. Raw unburned fuel will create a fireball through the back as proved through a simple demonstration by a friends sprayed b20 hatch. I'm sure the car is fine as I totally beat on it through the Mtn's last night with it at constant 5k+ rpms 75-80% of the time we were doing the run. That's not a way to tell it's ok, but if it were weak in any area, that Mtn run would've called it out within the hour or so I was up there. I put the car on free rollers and strapped her down and got a friend to spray it through 3rd gear and we noticed no leaks anywhere in the lines or fittings so that made me feel alot better.

But for the car not pulling as hard as it used to in 1st w/ a 50shot. I'm beginning to think it's just my worn down clutch because that was on the list of upgrades from like 6mnths ago

And for the loudness, it was confirmed that it was because of the extra 200+ psi coming through the nozzle. Thanks for all the concern and help guys!

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:14 PM
well im glad to see everythings fine... i guess ohv can take one hell of a beating...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:59 AM
congrats i am scared as fuk to spary my new car lol.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:09 PM
^^ Yea, I was kinda iffy about spraying at first because it was my DD, but I've been doing TONS of work on friends and other locals cars but I never translated that to doing work on my own car haha. Once I started planning everything out installation wise and time wise I don't worry about much going wrong anymore!

You shouldn't worry much either with having an Eco.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:24 PM
I take it you don't run a purge valve?
Friday, August 11, 2006 4:26 PM
Nahh! A purge would more than likely hurt me and my set-up! 75-100shot instantly sprayed into a stock internaled 2200 = bad news!

Friday, August 11, 2006 11:33 PM
How would it hurt you? Going too rich can be just as bad as going too lean. At least with a purge you would have been able to relieve some of your bottle pressure.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:35 PM
I'd rather run rich than lean anyday, but that's not the problem!

When using a purge valve it clears the lines and in turn fills the line so that the nitrous is ready to spray the instant the button or WOT switch is engaged. That much of a change coming into my basically stock motor would be a tragedy! I rather let the nitrous flow through the lines and let it have a gradual spray into the motor. Of course it's not like some $500 progressive controller but it's also not that instant hit of nitrous that can blow a motor that's not capable of handling the sudden change.

I sorta agree on it lowering my bottle pressure by using it, but if you think about it, the bottle pressure stays pretty constant after using it a couple of times. For instance, even after the backfire, the testing of the nitrous, and using it through the next couple days, it was still at about 1100-1150psi!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:39 PM
I'd rather have the system working properly and not have a rich or lean condition. You had a backfire correct? That could have been caused by a rich condition due to you only having extra fuel and no nitrous added to the engine. You're only asking for problems by not purging. There are much better, more consistant ways of softening the hit of nitrous then not purging. Look at the guys going faster then you. They aren't purging because it looks cool.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:34 PM
^^^ ?
Quote:

I'd rather have the system working properly and not have a rich or lean condition.

I'm highly positive that the quantity of fuel being dispersed from the nozzle isn't enough to give me a crazy rich condition that could lead to serious problems! The most we're looking at is what we saw in my original post! The worst it could possibly produce is a blown intake mani or a blown intake coupler! Also, there's no true way to monitor your A/F ratio anyway, unless you have a Wideband or similar equip hooked into the car & o2. In essence, no matter how perfect I make my nitrous to fuel equal each other out, the engine will always be in a lean or rich condition until I can get the proper equip to tune the car with. (HpT)

It' has even been shown that adding an intake onto a stock 2.2eco and 2200 have given lean conditions because of all the extra incoming air. I've done no fuel upgrades (00+ 2.4 injectors to come soon) so I could be running lean right now and not for sure know it. Running a tad bit rich WHILE running nitrous (an additive that allows MORE air into the engine, thus possibly giving me a more lean condition) doesn't phase me and my progress with this car at all!

Quote:

You had a backfire correct? That could have been caused by a rich condition due to you only having extra fuel and no nitrous added to the engine.

Yup, that is what I said in my 5th post

Quote:

There are much better, more consistant ways of softening the hit of nitrous then not purging.

There are a lot of things in life that are better

Thanks for all your concern though man!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:59 AM
damn man sorry to hear that you all know what happened to my car in OCT lol just be glad you didnt crack a piston!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search