staging. i learn something new every day - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
staging. i learn something new every day
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:42 AM
so i read an issue of i think it was Sport Compact Car magazine a while back. but there was a short one page story about staging and how people on street tires will do a nice long burnout before they race thinking that it is going to help their times. then i read a comment in the nitrous forum.

LEVI wrote:this is what u need to run with those cars your car must weigh 2600lbs with u in it or less, make 250whp or more and slicks . with this combo u should meet or beat most cobras specially if they are on street tires plus being a little crafty always helps let them do there burn out and stage than take for ever to stage that way their tires will cool down and they will do lots of spinning

and it reminded me. so i figured i would share.

so long story short staging on street tires is bad. the properties of rubber are apparently very complex. but racers stage on drag radials because the tires are made to orerate best at high temperatures. street tires have the best traction at much lower temperatures. even a short burnout on summer tires (which have a higher optimal operating temperature) will bring the tires way above those temperatures ant the ruber will become brittle and break off very easily. then when you try to launch you will actually have significantly less traction.

those of you who already knew this. great! and those that didn't i hope it helps.

Re: staging. i learn something new every day
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:43 AM
oops this was supposed to be in the racing forum. haha. thats my fault.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:28 AM
Great info, good post.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:35 PM
The reason you do a little baby tire spin before your run is to get any dust, gravel, moisture, etc. off of the tires. You don't want to hit the water box on street tires for sure. Just a little screech then line her up.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:01 PM
bmxludwig wrote:The reason you do a little baby tire spin before your run is to get any dust, gravel, moisture, etc. off of the tires. You don't want to hit the water box on street tires for sure. Just a little screech then line her up.

the article actually said the best thing for that would be to just do a practice launch and try not to spin tire.

forgot untill you mentioned that.

Admiral Jedi wrote:Great info, good post.

thanks

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:34 PM
Now I know!

And knowing is half the battle!

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:41 PM
nice post

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search