Window switch question???? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Window switch question????
Monday, April 13, 2009 12:42 AM
Hey, brand new to the site,j-bodies, and most of all, nitrous. After alot of searching I still need to know if I really need to have a window switch on my 99 2.4? I'm only running a 75 shot through a zex system but don't want to blow up the motor. I do not have any aftermarket ignition but from what I understand, I need two things: MSD 8969, and MSD 8913?? If I do need a rpm switch, does it have to be the digital 8969 or can it be the MSD 8956? Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Window switch question????
Monday, April 13, 2009 12:45 AM
Dan Singer wrote:Hey, brand new to the site,j-bodies, and most of all, nitrous. After alot of searching I still need to know if I really need to have a window switch on my 99 2.4? I'm only running a 75 shot through a zex system but don't want to blow up the motor. I do not have any aftermarket ignition but from what I understand, I need two things: MSD 8969, and MSD 8913?? If I do need a rpm switch, does it have to be the digital 8969 or can it be the MSD 8956? Any help would be much appreciated!

Btw it is a standard 5 speed.
Monday, April 13, 2009 8:11 AM
IMO you don't "need" any of that,I consider it supporting and saftey mods for nitrous systems,A MSD setup to retard timing would be beneficial but again it's not necessary.I ran 75-80 shot with a basic setup for awhile and had no problems

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, April 13, 2009 10:40 AM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:IMO you don't "need" any of that,I consider it supporting and saftey mods for nitrous systems,A MSD setup to retard timing would be beneficial but again it's not necessary.I ran 75-80 shot with a basic setup for awhile and had no problems

Okay but what if I don't want to spray in first gear? I'm more than likely to hit WOT for at least a second or two in first but I know thats bad news so how can I not spray in first gear but spray in every other gear with just a WOT switch? Thanks
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:30 AM
arm/disarm switch like I had.Bottle on,hit the arm switch then it will spray with the WOT switch.In fact,i had my arm/disarm switch wired into the 12v constant on my Pioneer cd player so the face had to be attached and on for the nitrous system to even work

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:47 AM
Damnit, I don't even know how to wire any of these switches! I wish I had the knowledge of most of you guys!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:37 PM
Most systems come with wiring diagrams or you can go to one of the major companies like NX and download a WIRINg diagram PDF

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:06 PM
Is my stock clutch & trans gonna hold up to a 75 shot biggs? Will I beat a 5.0 in the quarter w/ zex 75 shot?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:50 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't,I had the 4T40E with a B&M Shiftplus and it worked just fine,considering my VERY mild and very few mods that were done,I shaved off a second and a half on my 1/4 mile time from stock ratings.16.7 to a 15.2.Not bad for a 98 3200Lb car.

Beating a 5.0 mustang?Not sure,depending on the year of the 5.0 and if it's bone stock,prolly not.Most HO 5.0's were rated 200-225hp if I am correct

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:02 PM
A 2.4l with nitrous and some small mods and you only ran a 15.2? That's not too exciting.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:27 PM
Well considering a 15-20 mph headwind at the track,heavy 16" rims and big 225/50 tires,upper&lower urethane mounts and a WAI,I'd say from a STOCK time of 16.7 it was an improvement.Verts are way heavier than most J's if not all of them.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:28 PM
Also if your "goal" is to beat a 5.0 'Stang then you had better do alot more mods than a measly 75 shot,considering you don't have anything listed in your profile

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:54 PM
wat kind of mods do u think will get u there,I have a 95 2.3 HO quad 4 stock only upgrade my ignition to msd ,crank rsm pulley custom header with a direct port 100 shot im waiting to go try , Do u think that will do it or not?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:00 PM
So here's what I have:
1999 Sunfire GT 2.4L
Cold air intake.
60mm TB from MRZ
OBX header
Dual fart cans out the back
Zex nitrous kit- 75 shot
Some heavy assed 17 inch Akuza Drift rims, Nexen tires.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:55 PM
RGV:If what your asking is would you be able to beat a stock 5.0,I would say yes,more so than Dan,no offense

Dan:Lose the 17's in the front,put some 14's or 15' steelies on.Your TB is 2mm bigger than what I had with the HO manifold and Tb,makes little difference,good luck with your times

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:42 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:RGV:If what your asking is would you be able to beat a stock 5.0,I would say yes,more so than Dan,no offense

Dan:Lose the 17's in the front,put some 14's or 15' steelies on.Your TB is 2mm bigger than what I had with the HO manifold and Tb,makes little difference,good luck with your times

Steelies?? Would steel rims be heavier than the stock aluminum 16's? And do you mean the bigger TB makes "a little" difference or "little" difference...there is a difference
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:53 PM
Depends on what rims,traklites are far lighter but you said you had "heavy" rims,throw a 15" steel rim on a scale and your rim on a scale and let me know the weight difference.I meant as far as the bigger TB has little difference when running nitrous or NA for that matter unless you have the supporting mods to add to it.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:02 PM
Oh to answer your question sometimes yes,my 16" alum rims WERE heavier than the 15" stock steelies

Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:44 AM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Depends on what rims,traklites are far lighter but you said you had "heavy" rims,throw a 15" steel rim on a scale and your rim on a scale and let me know the weight difference.I meant as far as the bigger TB has little difference when running nitrous or NA for that matter unless you have the supporting mods to add to it.

So I wasted my money on a 60mm TB then? NO gains whatsoever?
Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:15 PM
Not necessarily a waste but a larger TB isn't going to increase hp a whole lot,especially on a NA apllication.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:38 PM
Get out of town! You just want me to buy a turbo!! I see what ur doin

Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:20 PM
lol,would have been cheaper than refilling nitrous all the time

Friday, April 17, 2009 10:12 AM
BIGGZ, is there a "soft plume" nozzle for the zex wet kit? I can only find these nozzles on eBay for the NOS brand-or will these work?
Friday, April 17, 2009 9:39 PM
Honestly, if your worried about beating 5.0 mustangs I would look to bigger apponents with nitrous. They really aren't very impressive for having v8's and being as light as they are. Alot of them struggled to get out of the 15's even with a few bolt ons. Some of the notchbacks were impressive because they were lighter but still not overly impressive. I'm not dissing them at all because i have friends with heavily modded 5.0's and they are very very fast but even they agreed that getting consistent 14's stock was a challenge. No offense to biggs but that is the slowest 2.4 nitrous time i have ever seen. Now he is a vert which are significantly heavier and bad track conditions can really bring down a time but there are several guys with 2.4's running bottom 14's and a few have hit high 13's with 75 shots and bolt ons. Dan, with your mods and a 75 shot, I see no reason why you couldn't run those times either. Make sure it is set up properly and have fun. I would suggest getting a wideband though.
Friday, April 17, 2009 10:06 PM
Green96 wrote:Honestly, if your worried about beating 5.0 mustangs I would look to bigger apponents with nitrous. They really aren't very impressive for having v8's and being as light as they are. Alot of them struggled to get out of the 15's even with a few bolt ons. Some of the notchbacks were impressive because they were lighter but still not overly impressive. I'm not dissing them at all because i have friends with heavily modded 5.0's and they are very very fast but even they agreed that getting consistent 14's stock was a challenge. No offense to biggs but that is the slowest 2.4 nitrous time i have ever seen. Now he is a vert which are significantly heavier and bad track conditions can really bring down a time but there are several guys with 2.4's running bottom 14's and a few have hit high 13's with 75 shots and bolt ons. Dan, with your mods and a 75 shot, I see no reason why you couldn't run those times either. Make sure it is set up properly and have fun. I would suggest getting a wideband though.

THAT'S what I wanna hear! lol. I agree with those times -although I have not seen it yet because I have not been to the track with this car yet, but I kinda had the initial feeling that given the mods I have so far, it would be odd to run anything lower than a high 14. I think BIGGZ has an automatic too? That could be a small factor. So this wideband thing, well I know nothing about it so I guess it's research time.
Completely off topic: The other day when i was spraying TB cleaner into my TB, the butterfly caught the long plastic nozzle thing and sucked it right in!! I was in shock, my car didn't even hiccup or nothing, but I'm wondering if there will be long term damage to internal parts? Any thoughts?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search