building ld9 - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
building ld9
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:25 AM
I'm in the process of building my 2.4 eventually I want to push nitrous. What should i concern myself with to safely do so as far as internals?

Re: building ld9
Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:43 PM
what kind of shot are you looking to run?

Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:13 PM
make sure you gap your rings for nitrous.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:17 PM
No higher then a 75 shot with venoms pcn1000 system. How do you gap the rings? What's the purpose and how much gap?
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:02 PM
Make it 100 shot and get...Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, etc...I'm finishing up my 96 LD9 build, so if you want to PM me and I can give you more specifics with part numbers and suppliers that can save you money (ex: turbo tech racing is expensive) if you have big hp goals. My profile has all my stuff listed too, just ignore the turbo stuff Have you considered going turbo? I was going to do nos at first, but now turbo IMO is the best way to go. Do the 2.3 oil pump swap too! I wish I would have

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, April 06, 2012 3:57 AM
id love to go turbo. but the cash isnt there. id be intrested in your cheaper parts list im just now getting to the bottom end of my ld9 lookin for some rods atleast. im not sure i want to mess with compression yet. i havent had anyone break down c/r's to me. if you could pm me and we'll talk on your connections. imma look at your profile now!
Friday, April 06, 2012 10:08 AM
OMG this is the third time i havetried to post i just had surgery on my shoulder and i keep hittin the stupid f5 key and refreshing the page.....I had some good stuff for you too

ok not wrting everyuthing again...
ebay eagle rods-350 Hbam
get clevitte bearings 77 should be like 50 to 80ish a set rod/main
crossdrill your crank if you can for better oiling, and enlarge the oil passages just a hair again if you can of have a machinist who can.
pistons suck to find anymore for an ld9 i would just get hyper coated as weisco is about the oly forging i can find and its 9:1 compression which isa less than the 9.5:1 the ld has stock

HIGHER COMPRESSION=MORE POWER, but you also become tht much closer to detonation and your tune has to be that much better.
Friday, April 06, 2012 2:44 PM
Awh that sucks. I'll do some research. Where did you get your clevite bearings and pistons? I'm trying to stay away from tuning just because I have a 96.
Friday, April 06, 2012 3:13 PM
Vinnie wrote:OMG this is the third time i havetried to post i just had surgery on my shoulder and i keep hittin the stupid f5 key and refreshing the page.....I had some good stuff for you too

ok not wrting everyuthing again...
ebay eagle rods-350 Hbam
get clevitte bearings 77 should be like 50 to 80ish a set rod/main
crossdrill your crank if you can for better oiling, and enlarge the oil passages just a hair again if you can of have a machinist who can.
pistons suck to find anymore for an ld9 i would just get hyper coated as weisco is about the oly forging i can find and its 9:1 compression which isa less than the 9.5:1 the ld has stock

HIGHER COMPRESSION=MORE POWER, but you also become tht much closer to detonation and your tune has to be that much better.

77's are more like 120 a set. cross drilling the rod journals (mains are already cross drilled) could effect oil pressure negatively.

pistons are easy to find. tons of wiseco's on ebay and various j-body sites as well as you can order anything you want from basically most piston manufacturers.

to make up for that compression loss just order .020 or .040 over and deck the head a bit.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 06, 2012 5:00 PM
now whats a good (cheaper) forged piston? beside wiseco? i know theres diamond and all the others but im lazy (and tired) just want to know the best bang for the buck. i dont care for brand names. i dont believe in paying for a name. so what should i look into for a good price? and what c/r should i look at?
Friday, April 06, 2012 7:57 PM
You'll want 9:1 comp. as for off brand I don't think there is any and wouldn't recommend it any way. Wiseco is what I'd really look into. I searched a ton to find great deals on name brand parts. Be sure you get the manuf part number and search that and contact someone if you look to get parts from an unknown source to make sure they're legit. All the eBay stores will say they got stuff in stock but that is rarely the case as I found out the hard way. That was the eagle rods anyway. Other common stuff eBay can be good for. Check the manuf part number though and warranties. I'll get on my laptop later and give you specific places I bought parts from if you want. Oh, and you will need to tune. Like retard timing and such. That's best anyway.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:21 AM
As far as tuning goes. I just don't want to have to go through the trouble of ecu swap. I want to get a mad dis-2 before I put the juice to it. But can't you manually retard the timing? I'm not going to be spraying all the time so what the cons of retarding the timing? Oh, and some sources for parts would be awesome. I'm going to the local speed shop to look at what they have since I've never been in there. Hopefully they'll have a stock of parts that I won't have to pay an arm and leg for.
Friday, December 13, 2013 11:15 AM
H beam rods are a necessity
Friday, May 24, 2019 5:01 AM
I know I'm resurrecting another dead thread, but I want to correct some misinformation.......

If all you're gonna do is 100 shot or less, all you need is NGK TR6 plugs, and premium fuel. Also, make sure you're not spraying at too low an rpm, use a window switch to be safe. That's it, no need for forged rods and pistons or even gapping rings bigger. There have been several people who have done 100 shot (wet) on a bone stock LD9 with just that and it lasted years of going to the track. Look up some OG members from 1997-2002 ish. Rick King and Nitro come to mind. One auto, one manual. I think both of those guys ended up trashing the transmissions before running into engine problems.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search