LED lights - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LED lights
Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:28 PM
I own a 2001 Chevy Cavalier base model. I changed the bulbs for the front turn signals and tail lights to LED's. I got a special LED flasher unit to work with the blinkers too. At first the hazards worked fine but then the blinkers wouldn't work. I realized the fuse was blown, so I talked to my friend and said the LED's are probably pulling more amps then the stock bulbs. He told me to try a higher amp fuse. The original fuse was 10 amps so I put in a 15 amp fuse and the blinkers worked fine. But then the parking lights didn't work. I noticed those are on a separate fuse also. The original fuse for the parking lights is 20 amps, I tried a 25 amp and a 30 amp fuse but they still blow when I try to turn on the parking lights. Also my center console and cluster gage lights are wired to the parking lights so those won't come on either. They don't make mini fuses bigger than 30 amps so I don't know what else to try. My brake lights, turn signals, hazards, and headlights work fine, it's just the parking lights and interior lights wired to the parking lights that won't work. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Re: LED lights
Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:38 PM
You've got a short somewhere. LED bulbs pull FAR less than incandescants, that's why you needed a special blinker unit. A stock one wouldn't see the LEDs because they pull so little current.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:48 AM
Kyle Lechman wrote:...I realized the fuse was blown, so I talked to my friend and said the LED's are probably pulling more amps then the stock bulbs....Any suggestions on what I should do?

For starters, don't ask this friend for any electrical advice again.

And for finding your problem, you're going to have to start checking every wire, bulb, whatever, that you've touched. Something is grounding out. Maybe you pinched a wire somewhere, maybe there's a short in one of the LED bulbs (aka defect), or maybe one of the contacts on the bulbs got bent and is crossing the positive and negative terminals. There's no easy answer in finding a short. You just have to start checking everything related.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:02 PM
Also, put back the stock fuse for the flashers. It'll just cause more problems when you fix it.

03 Sunfire - Sold.
Monday, November 19, 2007 2:56 PM
i had this problem as well... with Eurolite leds, i replaced the rear marker/brakes with the leds, and it kept blowing fuses. put in a 20a fuse and saw smoke coming from the wiring at the lights, turned out it was a defect in eurolite's design... i would check your wiring now, since you kept trying with bigger fuses, could be a permanent problem

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:01 AM
Kyle Lechman wrote:I own a 2001 Chevy Cavalier base model. I changed the bulbs for the front turn signals and tail lights to LED's. I got a special LED flasher unit to work with the blinkers too. At first the hazards worked fine but then the blinkers wouldn't work. I realized the fuse was blown, so I talked to my friend and said the LED's are probably pulling more amps then the stock bulbs. He told me to try a higher amp fuse. The original fuse was 10 amps so I put in a 15 amp fuse and the blinkers worked fine. But then the parking lights didn't work. I noticed those are on a separate fuse also. The original fuse for the parking lights is 20 amps, I tried a 25 amp and a 30 amp fuse but they still blow when I try to turn on the parking lights. Also my center console and cluster gage lights are wired to the parking lights so those won't come on either. They don't make mini fuses bigger than 30 amps so I don't know what else to try. My brake lights, turn signals, hazards, and headlights work fine, it's just the parking lights and interior lights wired to the parking lights that won't work. Any suggestions on what I should do?

What was the real cost of these lights?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search