Brad's Project Thread - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brad's Project Thread
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:24 PM
I've got lofty aspirations and I'm starting to get into it, so I'll dump pictures here for those who are curious, as well as some building pics. If you have questions, comments, suggestions, or JLAudio-isms post away

Here's tonight's adventure, adding last generation Type-X SPX-17MB midbass drivers. I'm building a pod that goes on the door. After this I will be modify the actual door panel to match the appearance of my kicks. The way I'm building it, the speaker and door panel will screw to the pod and will sort of bolster it to the door.

Please keep in mind, I deadened these doors 5 years ago when I knew nothing, they will be getting cleaned up substantially.

Getting the angle and fitment right:

It's tight!

Yes, that's duct tape (I usually use masking, but we were out)

Yes, that's Duraglass.

Yes, I do things quick and dirty

Hit it with a Roloc, It could use some prettying up but I was short on time.

And here's how it lies. I'll likely finish up this side on Wednesday (Maybe not painted quite yet).

I like the way it's coming, and even just the one side has a MARKED improvement in bass response.

Say what you will about 3-ways, but my imaging and soundstage is still impeccable even without the right side done yet.

Re: Brad's Project Thread
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:33 PM
I like 3 ways

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:08 PM
Definitely want to see how you do the door panel to mate up with this. Wanting to make pods for mine, but I got a big ole' window crank I need to account for and I don't want to make a pod that doesn't cover all of the factory cutouts on the doorpanel.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'd even attempt this without power windows.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:18 PM
You're a cunt. A dirty one too, not a fresh young one. I hate it, hate the equipment, hate the installer, hate the install, hate the progress pics.

hate hate hate hate hate!!!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:09 AM
Sweet tits.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:10 PM
Had school tonight so I couldn't do much, but I did rip out the old "sound deadening" from inside the door and replaced it with some Cascade VB-1X

More tomorrow

Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:41 PM
mmmmm Cascade... the best of the best. Next time you plan on ordering some up, if you don't have a favored Cascade dealer, PM me. I got a guy who I deal with a whole @!#$ ton that might actually be able to give you the best price too... if not, he is still an amazing dealer.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Friday, September 18, 2009 7:45 AM
I am a dealer, sorta But I agree, they make incredible stuff.

How many coats do you typically use?

Friday, September 18, 2009 8:10 AM
The only issue I have I guess is with the Evercoat filler exclusively. Wrapping the pod in even fleece and glassing it would be a lot more structually better than just using the Evercoat. You can pick up chop mat and a small thing of resin/hardener at your favorite autoparts store.

Friday, September 18, 2009 8:26 PM
Uh, why?

You know everglass is HEAVILY impregnated with short strand fiberglass, right? And with 1/2" to 1" all around this thing is freaking solid.

Friday, September 18, 2009 8:29 PM
One, you'd use less resin/mat then you would filler, it would cut down on weight, and and and... hi

Friday, September 18, 2009 8:31 PM
Definitely

This was the most expensive and heaviest method I could possibly have used.

I'm not ashamed.

Friday, September 18, 2009 8:37 PM
I wouldn't be, but I"m looking out for you bro. Efficiency. Why work hard when you don't have to?

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:41 PM
My hands.

Oh god my hands.

MY HANDS

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:47 PM
hatehatehatehatehate

Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:37 AM
what is that grey stuff? deadener?

click sig for my car audio videos
Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:43 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:what is that grey stuff? deadener?

Cascade Audio VB-2HD

It's a sound deadener, but more importantly it seals the door and makes an enclosure.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:05 PM
bradsk88 wrote:
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:what is that grey stuff? deadener?

Cascade Audio VB-2HD

It's a sound deadener, but more importantly it seals the door and makes an enclosure.

where the best place to buy this stuff? and is 13.9 sq ft enough to do the doors and some of the trunk?

click sig for my car audio videos
Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:25 PM
I buy it through my shop (Visions) in Canada, so anything I could get would cost more to get to you than it's worth. Maybe ask JL? He said he knows a guy.

For the trunk VB-2 would be next to useless, if your trunk is moving try VBMAX
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/automotive_audio_enhancement/vehicle_damping_sheets_vmax.htm

14 squares will just barely do two of our doors if cut in half lengthwise. The door I did here was half a pack of VB2.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:08 PM
Anton, if you are serious about spending the money to get the best sound dampening on the market, let me know. I don't call my dealer to ask questions until I know someone is ready to buy. But if you are, I can give him a call on my lunch break tomorrow and snag a price quote on a bulk pack. I am fairly sure a bulk pack is 53 sq. ft. or there-abouts.

and not to thread jack, without staying on topic... Brad, your build is weak, your equipment is junk, your install is that of a 5 year old with downs. You suck at life. Your system will sound horrible forever, your skills are lacking. STFU, GTFO, Die in a god damn fire, and I hope the car burns to the ground you noob ass, idiot!

hate hate hate!

Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:11 PM
I'll kill you Dustin

I'll kill you dead.

Monday, September 28, 2009 12:00 AM
You got a LOOONGG drive to do so, my friend. But when you get here, and I offer you a beer you will change your mind on killing me I'm a nice guy a swear... I just hate everything and everyone. Including you, goddamn northern ass.

Monday, September 28, 2009 2:21 PM
suggestion, i'dd problaby look at adding some deadoner sheet behind your midbass. if yoru feeding any amount of decent power to them then you still have a good chance of the outer door skin vibrating, i used and entire can of cascade on my grandam and with my 6.5" midbass it was still vibrating the outer door skin pretty bad. i ended up adding a few extra coats of deadoner behind the panel to help absorb the soundwaves. i really wasnt real happy with the results of the spray on deadoner myself. only areas i ended up using it on the sunfire were back by the rear quarter panels where you couldnt really get your hands up into to get dampening sheets on them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, September 28, 2009 4:22 PM
Cascades dampening mat is amazing. I haven't messed with spray on yet at all though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search