how to wire new 6x9s in trunk of 02 sunfire GT with monsoon system? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to wire new 6x9s in trunk of 02 sunfire GT with monsoon system?
Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:03 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to wire up a new set of 6x9s (pic) with 2 wires (black [-] and red-black [+]) but my existing speakers (pic) have 4 wires (2 reds & 2 red-blacks). By reading through the forums I gather that 1 set of incoming red & red-black wires is the tweeter wiring (for high notes) while the other set is the woofer wiring (for low notes)... is that correct?

My final questions is: how do I properly wire these things up?

And which is the positive and negative coming from the car? The reds or the blacks?

Thanks in advance everybody

-Mike

Re: how to wire new 6x9s in trunk of 02 sunfire GT with monsoon system?
Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:58 PM
ok, me and my buddy plowed forward anyway and here's what we found:

(a) to pull the back carpeting off, 1. take out the 3 plastic thingies on top by squeezing their side clips in. 2. pull down the back seat-back & remove the 2 black plastic bolt thingies by just pulling them out. 3. Bend & muscle that carpet out of there.
(b) black is negative and red is positive (from the car).
(c) for the 4 wires coming out of the speaker plug (pic), disconnected (or tape off separately) the wire pair next to the steel clippy thing & connect the wire pair opposite the clippy thing to the new speakers.
(d) to mount the speakers which (will probably be too big for the holes), throw away that junky plastic mounting thing. Pick up a drill bit that can cut through steel and drill 4 holes around each speaker hole corresponding to where the 4 screws from your new speakers go. Then hold the base of the speaker under the steel, while you screw it into the face of the speaker above the steel to hold it in place.

The sound is great, it no longer sounds like I have aluminum cans in the trunk ... but now this taste of good bass makes me crave it more! Next step; subwoffer!...(?)

I hope this helps someone else out there.

-Mike
Monday, May 09, 2011 10:19 AM
I see wire nuts. That's a huge no no. My sticky should have had the wiring questions you might have hd.

Monday, June 06, 2011 11:06 PM
Is there a better way? Or maybe pics that are involved? because I don't know what thingies are.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search