Installing tweeters. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing tweeters.
Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:25 AM
Has anyone installed tweeters in the Cav? I was considering doing this mod, but I don't know how exactly to wire them. I was considering tapping into my current speakers' wires and powering them through there, but I'm not sure if this can be done. I don't have the typical clip on connections on the speaker harness anymore (cut them off to do aftermarket speakers), so I was planning to add the tweeters through there. What concerns me though, is whether or not every speaker (and tweeter) would have sufficient wattage being supplied to them. My idea is to have 2 tweeters on the C pillar in the back, and 2 on the plastic panel that holds the side view mirrors.

Would this be a good idea? Why or why not?

Also, please don't suggest to run an amp to the speakers and connect the tweeters through the deck. I don't want to get entangled in the drama that goes along with adding an amp to a stock radio (Base with CD player). I rather keep the Cav stock. I do not want tear apart the dash just to get to the radio.

Thank you for your insight.

Re: Installing tweeters.
Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:58 PM
Im not exactly sure how you would wire that, Im not sure if it is even possible. You would need a crossover to separate mid/low frequencies from the highs and like I said idk how it could be done. Im sure someone on here with more experience than me will chime in. But really the easiest way to go about it if you want tweeters is just buy an after market headunit and a component set and just forget the jerry rig setup. I know its not what you want to hear but that would probably be the easiest way of going about.

Dave

Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:59 PM
You will need a passive high pass crossover to filter the signal going to the tweeters. That full range signal will kill them really fast.

But frankly, I would even screw with that since its going to probably sound far worse than youre expecting. Sorry,

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:58 PM
Well is there a way to do a high pass crossover on a stock radio?
Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:31 PM
It can be done but as sundown said you wont be getting the output you expect from it especially since its going to be powered off a stock head unit.
Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:48 PM
You can put it in parallel and throw a cap in series https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1463
But choosing a cap will depend entirely on the specs of the tweeter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search