HELP! Rear Speaker Harness! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! Rear Speaker Harness!
Friday, May 13, 2011 12:55 PM
I want to install the crutchfield harness included in my kit today and my harness has 4 wires and the plug is different. Anyone ever run into this? What did you do? Any idea what are the positive and negative on each side? If I cut into the harness what is that going to do to the other wires? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: HELP! Rear Speaker Harness!
Friday, May 13, 2011 3:04 PM
Okay, first of all, let me start off with... I'm no audio expert.
But, I ran into the same problem. You didn't mention what year your car is, so I'll tell you what worked for me.
I was just upgrading my speakers and keeping the factory head-unit. If that's what you're doing, this may be a solution.

My car has the "Premium" sound system... i.e. A small factory amp powering the rear speakers. Yours sounds the same.
The rear OEM speakers are actually component speakers, there's no built-in cross-over like after-market 2 way, or 3 way, etc. speakers have. They are wired to the rear mounted amp.
The easiest solution is to get 6x9 component speakers and wire the woofers and tweeters to the factory wiring.

Here's the list of positive and negative wires, according to a schematic I have...

"Right tweeter"
Positive - Dark Blue
Negative - Light Blue
"Right woofer"
Positive - Dark Green
Negative - Light Blue/Black
"Left tweeter"
Positive - Brown
Negative - Yellow
"Left woofer"
Positive - Dark Blue/White
Negative - Light Green/Black

Check your wiring to see if it corresponds to this and it should work without a problem.

Good luck with it.
Friday, May 13, 2011 3:21 PM
Duuuh... I didn't say what my car is either.

It's an '03 Cavalier, LS Sport

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:24 PM
Binzer, exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks so much. What brand of speakers did you use?
Friday, May 13, 2011 4:33 PM
Glad to help.
I got a set of 6X9 Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692S component speakers.
They're much better than the factory paper speakers, and they sound pretty good.
They aren't "audiophile" quality by any means, but it's a nice improvement over stock.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:42 PM
Cook, and it's all one unit vs say a round speaker with separate tweeters?
Friday, May 13, 2011 5:08 PM
Thinking that i could keep the speakers I bought and just buy tweeters and install them the way you suggested right?
Friday, May 13, 2011 5:14 PM
What type of speakers did you get?
The Fosgates are 6X9's with some different options for mounting the tweeters.
There's other brands that offer the same or similar set-up.

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:19 PM
Here's a link to a site that sold them, but they don't anymore.
But there's pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2481_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1692S.html

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:43 PM
Ya know.... For not being an expert or even attempting to be, this binzer guy is alright by me. Started off by stating "im no expert, but here's what worked when I was in your shoes".... then goes on to say "these are no audiophile quality speakers, but they are far better than stock". A+ on giving advice without pretending to know everything, and giving damn good advice! With that said, I guess I don't have any advice to add!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, May 13, 2011 5:49 PM
I already have some 6.5" Polk db D8651s that I didn't install because I didn't want to cut into the harness without knowing which wires go where. Like you I have a '03 LS and it must have the factory amp. No harness is made to plug into the stock harness.

As with you, not an expert, not an audiophile but just looking for advice from those who have already gone through this. I don't want to spend too much on the car since I'll probably only have it for another year or two.

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:33 PM
Well, my best advice would be to either return the Polks if you can,or sell them.
I'm guessing they're some type of coaxial speaker, which won't really work.

You can look here for starters, and then maybe shop around.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i193_6-x-9-component-speakers.html

At least you'll have some idea what to be looking for.

And to JLAudioCavalier... Thanks for the props man. You're one of the guys on here that I would rate as "expert". I just try to help a brother out.
If you know of any other places the OP can find what he's lookin' for that would be great.

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:44 PM
Only thing I have to add, if you don't want to go with components and do want to stick with your coax speakers, you can disconnect the tweeter from the terminals on the speaker if you're feeling capable and a maybe little brave.

The speaker will likely only have a capacitor (the black tube with yellow) on it. It might have a coil (the black sort-of-tube), but you will want to leave that if it does.
Two wires will go directly to the spider of the woofer, you want to leave those connected.
The other two wires will go to the tweeter (with the cap on one of the wires). Desolder the cap from the speaker terminal posts and run wires to the amp tweeter output.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 11:49 AM
I think I'll just end up sticking with the stock rears for now. The Polk's will go in my GTO somewhere. It's one less thing i have to buy for them. I'd figured by this point in time SOMEONE would had a simple solution for this issue. I've never been good with anything electrical so I'll probably just wait or I'd buy a separate set of tweeters and then take my chances pulling the wires out from the factory male connector and connect them to the respective places on both the speaker and tweeter.
Monday, May 16, 2011 8:32 AM
Binzer do you have a pic of your wiring set up? is it possible for you to take a pic of what you did as far as attaching the speaker wires to the factory harness? Thanks.
Monday, May 16, 2011 2:07 PM
Sorry, I don't have a pic of my wiring setup, but it's simple since I used component speakers.
Each of my 6X9's has a connection for the woofer and the tweeter. I just cut the plug from my factory wiring and connected it using the corresponding wires that I showed in my first post.

If you plan on trying to connect your Polks, which again I'm assuming are coaxial speakers, I don't have any experience with that.
You can attempt what "bradsk88" suggested.

Monday, June 06, 2011 11:08 PM
I'm posting like crazy tonight about speakers, but I want to install a set of Alpine Type S 6x9's. How would I do that with the same set up?
Monday, June 06, 2011 11:10 PM
Oh ya, heres the link for the speakers I want to get.

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=12728

also I want to get some Alpine Type S 4x6's and heres the link for them as well:

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=8202

will the 4x6s be plug and play basically without any big wiring project?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search