Back into car audio game - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Back into car audio game
Monday, June 13, 2011 1:07 PM
Alright boys and girls
as some of you might know I did a built before but it wasn't upto my expectations that's why I sold it, but now I am coming back
this time with more power and better project designed
While in past I had 3 JL10W3 subs in a sealed box, this time I am gonna go with 2 12s in ported tuned to no higher than 30hz with a lot of power
Now, I am still not 100 % set with which subs i am gonna go but it's gonna be either FI BL or Q line, Sundown SA 12, JL 12W7 or Rockford Fosgate T212
powered of course by rockford fosgate t2500.
Now, my goal here is to get LOUD yet retain SQ and it'd be nice if i could pull a hair trick (strictly for show).
Also I am always looking for ways to improve my front staging. Right now I still have my JL C5s and for some reason they sound a little harsh
I sealed my doors completely, I am even gonna lay another layer of sound deadening to make sure there's no leaks. But I really don't like the way my highs sound right now
I am looking forward to compete at SQ/SPL competitions this year and I know there are some pretty knowledgeable guys in here so let me know what you think..

Re: Back into car audio game
Monday, June 13, 2011 1:24 PM
Jl is very frequently too bright.
If the jumpers on the crossover for tweeter level are not already all the way down, set them that way
(possibly a step up from the lowest setting for the passenger side, if you want to make it better for the driver's imaging)

If it I were you, and had access to an RTA I would EQ the speakers so that they follow a curve that goes from +3dB@20Hz to -3dB@20kHz with a smooth downward slope and no nasty peaks or dips. (The B- curve)

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:04 PM
bl or sa-12s ar the way to go. for the power you will have i would do the sa-s keep amp at 1ohm

click sig for my car audio videos
Monday, June 13, 2011 2:13 PM
Tuning article I posted that no one seemed to like. This is the biggest thing that helped my system once I got the install to where it needed to be. Even if you dont have an EQ the phase setup will get your music sounding quite nice with very little work. I havent even gotten into the freq adjustments yet aside from just playing with the tonality.

The only problem I see with trying to go with an SQ system will a large substage is going to be crossover points. I run my HPF for my mids at about 60 hz (Im probably going to drop it more here soon) and when I was running my SPL setup I had the HPF set to around 80 to 90 hz so that I didnt cook my mids with sine waves and heavy bass songs. I also feel that your sub enclosure is going to be very important to how the sub stage sounds. Most ported enclosures have a frequency that they will peak at as opposed to a sealed box which tends to be linear in its response.

My final word is going to be something that Im coming to realize. A good SQ system is a process. You dont just put everything in turn a few knobs and leave it. You have to play with tuning over and over until you reach the point at which the capabilities of your system is truely maxed-out. Also just search my name. I think Ive started a few tuning threads that have some good starter info. Oh ya and read read read.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:41 AM
nice tuning article sundown, i know the guy who wrote that. good guy, has been competing sq for years now. (if he's still competing)

if you really want to compete in sound quality the first thing you need to do is get the rule book for the orginasation you want to compete in. because if you just throw stuff in. your going to get smoked bad. there is allot more to sq then just the sound. the install needs to be top notch as well. sq is nothing like spl where you just throw you random uncovered wood wires everywhere install and run it thru the lanes. install is worth almost as much as the sound.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:17 AM
alright
got my amp last night and now i got a chance to purchase rf p3 subs for dirt cheap
did anybody hear them before? how do they perform @ lower frequencies? i want to tune to 30 hz and feed them 1200 watts rms are they good for such task?
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:58 AM
My last system was one Kicker 12L5 and Kenwood mono amp(550w RMS @ 2ohms) and it was extremely loud and still had good SQ. I had 2 older 15" rockfords before this with the same amp and they hit hard but the kicker hit harder and sounded better (didnt take up the entire trunk either). I would image 2 12L7's would be even crazier. Never had any expierience with the other subs you listed but have always seen great results with Kicker. My first sub ever was a 12W0 and cheap alpine amp and it was nothing crazy but was pretty impressed by it. Always wanted to hear the W7s, I am sure they would be impressive.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:08 AM
rf p3 has very identical characteristics as sundown sa and jl w6, but i never heard it in person, how it handles lows and how hard it hits.. anybody?
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:53 AM
both kicker and rockford are on the low end if your talking sound quality competition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:54 AM
lol.... nothin like an sa!!!! the p3 is tiny. garbage if you ask me....

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:10 PM
how is sq and spl of sa's? they look alright, impressive specs and i heard they're very underrated
what's your experience with them??

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:39 PM
i used to run 2 rf p3s off a rf p1000-1bd amp....sounded good....not enough to pull of a hair trick...check my vid on youtube under the name grimezinni
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:37 PM
looks like for the price p3 is a decent sub, but i am just not sure if i'll be satisfied with it..
did anybody manage to pull off a hair trick with a pair of 12s yet retain sql??
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:27 PM
if you seriously want sq and spl your best bet would be to do a big pair of subs in the trunk for spl and then a seperate small sub up front for sound quality so you can switch from one to the other. your spl subs your going for arn't going to be the best for sq.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:59 PM
sndsgood, what spl and what sql you recommend?
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:01 PM
SQL dont exist... its a fairy tale some one told you. basically all sql means is a loud as @!#$ daily driver that has highs that keep up with the bass and that hits stoopid low yo.

SA-12 is what you want.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:15 PM
try the jbl w12gti sub.....decent spl and great sq
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:34 PM
never was a fan of jbl, but that particular sub is alright
but as of now my #1 choice is sa 12s, there's some impressive excursion and fs response, as well as it can handle a lot of power with ease ..
the lowest i seen it go for $200 which is a pretty good deal..
now i need to start working on my box..
sundown recommends tuning them to 30hz @ 1.75 cu ft which sounds perfect to me. they'll probably take up the whole trunk but they're well worth it..
i doubt i'd be able to pull off a massive hair trick but i am sure they'll still move some air..
that's that for now..
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:56 AM
for sq it depends on where your putting the sub, air space blah blah blah. but focal,. dynaudio, hybrid audio, hert, rainbow, morel. are all good brands.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:39 AM

sa's are fun

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:03 AM
nice video, now i am definitely going with sa's
anton, how far can you be heard with such low tune? neighbors must love you..

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:30 PM
i DONT play in neighborhoods its disrespectful and NOT WANTED!!!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:56 AM
alright, subs are on the way, hopefully i should have them in tomorrow night..
also ordered 50 sq ft of dynamat as silicone adhesive to completely seal up my doors and help deaden the car a little..
now i am gonna start building a 4 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz.. this should be straight forward.
if all goes well i should have my subs in and fully operational by next week
meanwhile i am gonna work on improving my mids and highs since i am disappointed with the way they sound
already have my baffle rings in, lots of dynamat to seal the doors, eq processor to go in as well to help out with harsh highs ..
anything else i can do to achieve the best SQ possible?
Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:41 AM
work on installing the speakers at the optimum angle and get them sealed as possible before you ever touch an eq. eq should be the last item on the list. and doors likely arn't going to be the best location if you want to compete in sq. also if you dont take pictures and put them in a build book for competition your going to lose tons of points.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search