Sunfire reverse lights problem - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire reverse lights problem
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:34 PM
I have a 01 Sunfire. The reverse lights stop working. So figured maybe just the bulbs were blown. Pulled both plugs out and check them and got new bulbs. I couldn't get either one of the new bulbs to work, but I put a bulb in that is led and can get it to light up. If I put a normal bulb in the opposite side it makes the led bulb go out. Makes me thing there is a short somewhere. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or question, to possibly help me out.

Re: Sunfire reverse lights problem
Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:38 AM
need a new reverse light sensor on the trans 00+ and bad reverse light sensors go together like spagetti and meatballs

i need one for my car aswell

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:39 AM
Only thing that makes me not think it is the sensor is the fact when I put the led bulb in, it will light up. If it was a bad sensor I dont think it would make a difference if it was the led bulb or a regular bulb.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:03 AM
LED bulbs don't require as much power to light as a standard light bulb, sounds like the contacts in the switch are not making good contact. I would take a volt / ohm meter and measure voltage at your tail light.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:13 AM
Oedwards wrote:LED bulbs don't require as much power to light as a standard light bulb, sounds like the contacts in the switch are not making good contact. I would take a volt / ohm meter and measure voltage at your tail light.

At my taillights or my reverse lights. I already tested the volts at my reverse lights and im getting around 13.2 volts.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:38 AM
I shot some WD-40 at the switch one time and all is good.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:19 PM
mine did this very same thing you probably need new sockets. if the driver side socket is bad they will not work . heres what I did took a piece of wire and ran it into the middle socket terminal from the hot wire on the socket (green wire I think) and plugged the bulb in an it worked. our cars use the same bulb for reverse as they do fort brakes and turn signals (same style bulb I mean). you may have to do that to both sides for them to work. you can also unplug you brake light socket and plug it into your reverse harness and that will tell you that you socket bad. if you fix it like I did and told you unhook your battery so you don't fry the reverse switch. I bet thatll fix it though
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search