suggestions for component speakers - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
suggestions for component speakers
Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:05 PM
since I ditched my rear speakers, I love the way my stereo sounds now with front components and a sub.

however, my type S 6.75" front components have seen better days.

i'm looking for a new set to replace them. I do not have the fronts amped right now, but they will be eventually.

I sort of like the alpine type-x 17 pros, but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions (i found them for around $340 shipped).

my budget is $350 for the components.

Re: suggestions for component speakers
Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:52 PM
The Type X components are badass but they are pricy. What are you using to power the components?

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7470-cmx-265-rainbow-power-cmx-65-2-way-component-system.aspx

I like these and they are cheaper too

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4765-tempo-6-morel-65-2-way-component-system.aspx

Just need some good, clean power.
Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:41 PM
Ok Zach... as someone authorized to sell Rainbow direct from their USA rep, I HATE when someone links Rainbow stuff on Woofersetc. THEY ARE NOT AN AUTHORIZED OR SUPPORTED RAINBOW DEALER(I promise, and will get exact info directly from Rainbow if you want. Sorry, not jumping down your throat as you probably didn't know, just letting people know you get ZERO support from Rainbow when bought from Woofers.

Also, CMX265's are 100% discontinued. That is a part number Rainbow does no longer sell. Further proof of Woofers not being an actual dealer, they're just selling old/overstock stuff they bought out. "Availability: Please call". Because they don't deal new, they just sell what they got left from some big buy out.

NOW, I do however fully support Rainbow recommendations. With that budget, though, I would do 1 of 2 things. A: Rainbow SAC265.25's for $300 shipped to you, save your $50 to go towards a quality amp for them in the future. OR, a great option to get speakers and the power they need to shine at the same time: B. Rainbow SLC265.25NG's for $260 shipped and expand the budget for a good amp. But, if you really wanted to go with a nice high end name brand like Rainbow and still be able to afford powering them with a nice high end brand, I could package a Zapco Studio4(4 channel amp that bridges to provide 100-150 watts per side at 4 ohms which gives you more than enough to get those SLC's moving!) with some SLC265's for $450. It's $100 over your budget but includes an amp and I can do free shipping as well.

Just some food for thought. You have a budget that really allows you to get above the off the shelf brands like Boston or Alpine, and get into the high end names like Rainbow and Zapco.

Info on the things I've mentioned in this reply:
SLC265.25NG components:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/slc265-25ng.html

SAC265.25 components:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/sac265-25.html

Zapco Studio4:
http://zapco.com/StudioSeries.html

Also note the awesome small footprint on the StudioX series amps. I really think Zapco hit a home run with these. Making a line of amps that lives up to their standards and reputation, but still being affordable. And the size just adds icing to the cake.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, April 29, 2011 4:49 AM
Pj, if your looking for a quality set of speakers Dustin is going to be hard to beat on prices for rainbow. they are likely what im going to run in the trailblazer as a daily setup if my company pays for my overtime. the zapco amp is also a good deal.

if you want to go a diffrent route there is hertz, focal, dynaudio but chances are unless you find a really good deal on them your going to be getting a comparable product for more money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, April 29, 2011 11:05 AM
sndsgood wrote:Pj, if your looking for a quality set of speakers Dustin is going to be hard to beat on prices for rainbow. they are likely what im going to run in the trailblazer as a daily setup if my company pays for my overtime. the zapco amp is also a good deal.

if you want to go a diffrent route there is hertz, focal, dynaudio but chances are unless you find a really good deal on them your going to be getting a comparable product for more money.

I agree about getting some Rainbow's from JL. I got my CSX 265's from him and absolutely love them, he hooks you up with awesome gear and is a great guy to deal with as well.

Dave

Friday, April 29, 2011 11:34 AM
What about just replacing the midbasses and keeping the existing tweets and xover? This way you can get yourself a good 2 channel and wiring kit and feed em some power.

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:46 PM
hey dustin, don't think I forgot about this.. i noticed the woofer on my passenger side is cracked at the edge =(

I'm really interested in the SAC series, so what you suggested for those speakers would be pretty awesome.

coupled with that studio4 amp.... send me a PM about what you can do for me. I'm assuming I shouldn't be reusing factory speaker wires with these speakers?

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:47 PM
as a side note: would you strongly suggest deadening the doors with the speakers installed? and what would be your suggestion in that aspect?

I do NOT want to use foam.. although I'm not agains the idea of dynamat (too much).

Monday, June 20, 2011 9:08 PM
sound deaden the doors 2 or 3 layers at least. the sound will improve drastically.
use 3/4 mdf baffle ring with silicone adhesive.
go with JL C3 or C5 components - they're very good speakers for the price.
for amp go with rockford t400 or 600/4.
Monday, June 20, 2011 9:35 PM
PM sent with pricing on the Zapco and Rainbow products

2-3 layers of a vibration damper is FAR overkill, Andrey....

What Andrey said about baffles is correct. You want a good solid wood ring to mount the mid woofers to. And the Cavalier door panels should leave enough room to run 3/4" thick baffles.
And the damping itself, I would pick up the V-MAXSP kit from Cascade Audio Engineering. It's 10 sheets of their VMAX damping. It's the best stuff on the market, super clean and easy to work with and has no odor. The SP pack is basically what you would expect from a "door kit" from other brands as it is all you should need to seal up access holes and kill vibrations and resonance in the doors. You might even be able to do some on the outer door skin with leftovers after doing a layer on the doors. Remember, damper are not made for noise control. While they do keep some noise out/in, doing layer upon layer for that gets very expensive when those same companies make barrier products. So the "do 4 layers" technique in a normal car is FAR more than it's worth for the cost.

Also, once I verify shipping I will PM you a price on that Cascade V-MAXSP damping pack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 20, 2011 9:36 PM

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:59 AM
i would definatly get somedamping on the outter door skin. our doors are like pop cans. get some behind where the speaker will be then install your speakers and see what you have. if nessicary add more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:03 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:hey dustin, don't think I forgot about this.. i noticed the woofer on my passenger side is cracked at the edge =(

I'm really interested in the SAC series, so what you suggested for those speakers would be pretty awesome.

coupled with that studio4 amp.... send me a PM about what you can do for me. I'm assuming I shouldn't be reusing factory speaker wires with these speakers?

Youll like the SACs. I love mine.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:06 AM
Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:26 AM
Have you thought about doing any pro audio?
Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:10 AM
I hope u aren't talking pro audio as in dj/club/party audio....in a car....

Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:33 AM
I'm referring to something similar to Selenium 6W4P's for example. I rarely see component sets achieve close to what a good pro audio install can do. They sound incredible and get quite loud. Though I'm sure they are nothing compared to your Rainbows...
Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:16 PM
So u are talking about stuff made for night clubs and dance halls..... You're so right. Instead of buying components that consist of a mid, tweeter, and matches crossover network to optimise sound, he should buy some selenium mids made for dance halls. That's sarcasm by the way. And yes, my rainbow suggesting is better. That's not sarcasm

Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:27 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:So u are talking about stuff made for night clubs and dance halls..... You're so right. Instead of buying components that consist of a mid, tweeter, and matches crossover network to optimise sound, he should buy some selenium mids made for dance halls. That's sarcasm by the way. And yes, my rainbow suggesting is better. That's not sarcasm

Buy rainbows from him, you wont regret it. I did and they are nothing short of amazing.

Dave

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:21 PM
You realize that 99% of people that do car audio are not trying to do a mids and highs setup complete with time phasing, a million crossovers, staging etc. Most of us want a mids and highs setup that will play loud and sound clean, without breaking the bank. We could care less if our output curves from 60hz to 20khz isnt totally flat. I understand your trying to sell your product, but be realistic with what this guy is trying to do before you upsell him something he doesnt need. Hence why I reccomend pro audio. A set of Selenium "Dance Hall" 6.5's and a pair of 1" bullet tweeters will be insanely loud, sound very clean, and can be done for well under 200. Now do you understand what I mean?
Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:10 PM
Yeah.... you want to half ass it. I do know what you mean. It's just like all the bassheads who think they need 10 $5 tweeters to keep up with their 18's but don't do @!#$ for crossovers, equalizing, or mids..... "loud as possible" isn't the only thing people want. PJ and I go back further than your account here. I have talked extensively with him about this and helped get him into equipment that will work great for him.

As for "not all of us want a million crossovers etc etc"... To install separate mids and tweets and amp them and get them the frequencies they are made to play isolated, you do a LOT more research and building and fine tuning than buying a pre-matched set of passive components that have everything they need enclosed in a crossover. The end user has to run speaker wires and tune the amp, that's it. How is that harder??

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:17 PM
I'd like to half ass it? I dont see how building my own bass blockers to put inline with the speaker wires it my mids and highs is half assing anything. If I can hear my mids and highs clearly without it being drowned out the bass, then I dont see what I'm doing wrong. Good results are never easy to obtain, I'll take putting in work, saving money, and getting equal or better results over spending more money on a plug and play setup...

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:50 PM
And everyone has their own way of doing it. But you came in here like the DIY, pro-audio(not made for cars) way of doing it is right for PJ without actually knowing what he is going for. Especially with people fairly new to upgrading audio and doing this stuff, building your own crossovers(or being simple/basic about it and putting bass blockers in...), isn't for everyone. I wouldn't suggest someone who isn't die hard into the DIY Audio scene to do such things. I also don't think you're going to be getting better results out of pro audio equipment than high end car audio products. They put a lot of money, time, and effort into R&D in car-specific products. They(high end car audio brands) cost more for a reason, and unlike JL audio and Rockford-Fosgate, it's not because of a name plate. I'm not saying this stuff because I sell it. If you saw the commission I get off sales, you would see it's not what I do it for. I started offering these brands(Rainbow predominantly) because I trust them, know them, and know what they are. I wouldn't sell or support junk or crap or anything that wasn't worth the money. Stop coming off as if paying for high end equipment isn't worth it, and stop talking as if I only give advice to make a buck. Such is not the case.

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:09 AM
Now were approaching some common ground on this topic! I'm not saying that higher end, higher cost equipment isnt worth it. But I am saying that theres a fine line between quality and price. As a true basshead, I'm never satisfied unless im tuning/changing/adding on. With pro audio, the simplicity of adding on, interchangeability, and being able to build on a budget, I feel it better suits that application. Mind you I wouldnt complain about getting a few Rainbow component sets sent my way, but when its coming out of my pocket, its a slightly different story. Theres also a difference between the SQ side of car audio, and the loudness aspect. Your SQ speakers are designed to sound incredible, like the artist is right next to you in the car. This does also however, limit their ability to get loud. "Dance Hall" Speakers are designed and built to do just that, fill an entire big room with sound. Meaning high power handling, bigger motors, etc. Now you take that speaker ment to play music in a large room, and throw it in the door of a little economy car like ours, and back down the power a tad, properly filter out the lows, deaden our tinny doors. And you have an insanely loud mid in your door. For usually around 35 bucks a pop (give or take). BTW might I add how much I enjoy having a debate over conflicting viewpoints with people that actually know their @!#$?
Friday, June 24, 2011 4:34 AM
diffrent designs, diffrent people, diffrent installs. there is no cookie cutter answer. for what pj wants, the rainbows will give him what he wants. most stuio speakers are designed for larger rooms. allot larger. your better off going quality speakers designed for the car envirement. crossover prebuilt to work well with the speakers. if pj was the type to be building his own crossovers he wouldn't be on a j-body site asking for reccomendation he would allready know what he wants. you have to know your customer.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search