Subs on a switch? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subs on a switch?
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:57 PM
I'm wondering about having my sub amp turn on wire switched. The idea is to have it kind of as a joke. I think it would be funny to have my front and rear speakers playing minor bass and have people wondering wheres the "real" bass, and then flick the switch and bam.

Just wondering if there is any issue with damaging the subwoofers or the amplifier. If the music is at 3/4 volume and and the subs are at 3/4 max, will there be any negative effect to having them just switch on mid song?

I wouldn't for sure be doing this just a thought.

Re: Subs on a switch?
Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:32 AM
i really dont see the point in doing this but just get a bass know if thats what you want
Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:58 AM
I have the bass knob, but even as fast as I can turn it, its not the same effect as it just clicking on at full.

And to be honest, part of the reason I'm considering this is because on my center console I have 3 switched. 1 for exterior leds and 1 for interior leds. I'm tryng to figure out something for the 3rd switch.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:46 AM
remote wire just hook it up to a constant 12v or an ignition...

ive done switches for headunits all the way to the amplifiers individually themselves. we do this for safty reasons too.

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:48 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:remote wire just hook it up to a constant 12v or an ignition...

ive done switches for headunits all the way to the amplifiers individually themselves. we do this for safty reasons too.

^this. Switching the remote wire wont damage anything. But personally id be anal about having the amp playing full tilt as soon as it clicks on.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:48 PM
most amps take a second or two to turn themselves on and play a signal. i gaurentee i can turn my remote volume control from 0 to 100% way faster then a switch on the remote.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:05 PM
turn on bump, guaranteed

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:26 PM
bradsk88 wrote:turn on bump, guaranteed

not if the amp has a proper turn on delay (like a sundown)

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:47 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:turn on bump, guaranteed

not if the amp has a proper turn on delay (like a sundown)

its a Power Acoustik from Ebay. probably lacking in the high end proper parts.
Friday, July 15, 2011 7:38 AM
My power acoustik mono amp does have a bit of a turn on delay/

Dave

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:25 AM
I did this for several years in my first cavalier. I added subs to the stock H/U on a 2000 and didn't know where to hook the remote wire, so I just wired in a switch to a +12 line to the remote.

Sometimes I would forget to turn the subs on and would just hit the switch whenever, and it didn't seem to be a problem. I used that same amp and sub pair in at least one other car since then. Other times I would turn it off/on while listening for lulz. (Wax on/Wax off anyone?)

So, as long as you're switching the "remote" wire on the amp (which is what I very strongly suggest, as it has minimal amp draw so you can get away with a small switch) you should be good honestly. Not to mention I bet you spent more on your equipment than I did back then, so it's all but guaranteed to be higher quality stuff than I had.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.

Friday, July 15, 2011 11:00 PM
awesome, thanks for all the input guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search