Oh that's where the midbass went... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oh that's where the midbass went...
Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:32 PM
You all know what a J's door looks like behind the door panel. In a word; skeletal.

If you know your stuff, you also know how much sound is lost due to the panels rattling, the giant access holes in the inner skin, etc.
And that's not even mentioning the ridiculous amount of road noise let in with zero sound deadening.

My fix:
1. Deadener applied to outside skin
2. Closed-Cell Foam behind speaker to reduce cancellation
3. Aluminum sheets siliconed over access holes to seal the door
4. Deadener applied over inside skin
5. Closed cell foam between deadener and door panel.

And so, it begins:

Starting the first layer of deadener. Nice big hole to work with, super flat area, progress was fast.

Next I glued a nice big square (about 12" x 12") of CCF behind the speaker hole. The angle makes it look smaller than it actually is.
Don't worry, I cleaned up that nasty leftover silicone from the stock moisture barrier.

Aluminum sheets cut to slightly larger than the holes and siliconed in place. Didn't get a pic of the big hole but you get the point.

Now deadener applied over all that. MUCH slower than the outside panel with all the crazy shapes on the surface.
You can see the bottom half of the aluminum covering the big hole in the second pic.

All done! Don't forget to cut around any screw holes you covered or it might be hard to get the panel back on!

Enjoy your new boost to sound levels and musical clarity!

Notes:

Prep is very important. I used alcohol and shop towels to wipe down all metal surfaces before applying deadener. MAKE SURE you get all the black gunk off before going forward.
    I forgot to take pics of the CCF that went over the last pic but rest assured it's there.

Re: Oh that's where the midbass went...
Monday, July 18, 2011 6:42 PM
what brand of damping mat is that?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Re: Oh that's where the midbass went...
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:45 PM
Looks like brown bread.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search