2-way antenna.. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2-way antenna..
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:00 PM
dont know if this is the right section but.....

anyone know anything about antennas for radios?
specifically .. was wondering if it was possible to tie in a 2-way hand held radio to work with the antenna on my car...possible???

Re: 2-way antenna..
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:49 PM
I figure you're assuming that since the car antenna is longer/taller that it has better range. But that's not true.

The length of the antenna is closely linked to to frequency range that it's supposed to pick up.

It's pretty likely that the handheld antenna is finely engineered to be the correct size and with the correct windings. Tying it on to the car's antenna would likely diminish the signal strength.

Unless, of course, the radio manufacturer has built in support for piggybacking onto a car aerial. But since you're asking, I'll assume that's not true.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:16 AM
yea, was tryin to get better range, also i know these radios are "line of sight" and just having them IN the car deminishes that. But thanks for the info ! at least now i wont be trying in vein. Ill just leave it the way it is. was just a thought. thanks man !

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:46 AM
Often, the guys who make 2 way handhelds also make CB radios and I'd be surprised if you couldn't tune into the same channels for the same brand.

Then you'd get past the range issue, but you'd have to mount a (possibly temporary) whip antenna on your car

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:03 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Often, the guys who make 2 way handhelds also make CB radios and I'd be surprised if you couldn't tune into the same channels for the same brand.

Then you'd get past the range issue, but you'd have to mount a (possibly temporary) whip antenna on your car

Like a magnetic mount one, keep it in the trunk when your not using it, Plop it on the trunk lid when you need it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search