Audio guys - Help me out real quick - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Audio guys - Help me out real quick
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 5:59 PM
My truck is really loud (exhaust and diesel = LOUD)

I've decided to build a very mild budget audio system just so i can hear it over the radio, and understand the music.
I've got a JVC deck in there now. Basic deck, whatever. Has subwoofer 5v pre amp out and 1 5v pre amp out for speakers.
I've also got 2 2 channel amps sitting around doing nothing. One is an older lightening audio, 150 watts RMS, 75 at each channel. I'd like to run this amp to just my front door speakers, which are 6x9's. I have the factory speakers now, which I am changing. I'm thinking about just amping the front, and completely removing the rears from the equation. Now my truck has a factory amp, and tweeters.I'd like to keep the tweeters for whatever highs I can get from them that I can't get from the 6x9's. Will not be adding a sub. Also won't be adding anything else. I just want to be able to hear my music clearly over my damn engine (that is when I want to!). Also want to add i'm changing my front speakers because one is blown and I'm tired of listening to it.

So, heres what I'm thinking for wiring. Tell me how to change it to make it right.
Wiring the factory tweeters to the front speaker outputs on the deck. Keep the factory amp powering those. This is how they are connected now.
Wiring the door speakers to the "rear" speaker output on the deck, basically to keep my small 2 channel amp away from the factory tweeters.
Would this work well enough or should I just lose the tweeters and factory amp all together, and just run the 6x9's?
The rear speakers in the truck are 5 1/4's. These speakers are a bitch to change out because the panels are a bitch to remove.

So here's the other question. Knowing one of my speakers is blown, would I be good enough at just changing the front speakers out and keeping the factory amp? I'm really just looking for more clarity, as I do believe my deck does go loud enough.

So, audio gods, help me out here.

Re: Audio guys - Help me out real quick
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:11 PM
So are you planning to get new 6x9s for the front?

If that's the case then just ditch the whole idea of keeping the tweeters, they will just limit how loud you can go.

Then, yeah, just run the 6x9s off the amp.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:41 AM
I'm with brad. Unhook the factory amp, don't worry about the factory tweeters, and get a decent quality set of 2 way 6x9's to run off your amp. That little amp won't need anything more than 8awg and an 8awg amp kit can be had cheap. What are you looking to spend on the speakers? I'm still clearing out 2011 stock and know I have coaxials left for sure.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:50 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I'm with brad. Unhook the factory amp, don't worry about the factory tweeters, and get a decent quality set of 2 way 6x9's to run off your amp. That little amp won't need anything more than 8awg and an 8awg amp kit can be had cheap. What are you looking to spend on the speakers? I'm still clearing out 2011 stock and know I have coaxials left for sure.

Brad, thanks for the thoughts. Yes I am getting 6x9's for the front.

JL, what do you have for coaxial's? Your lower end stuff. Are they all 6.5"s or are there any 6x9's? And I have a 10 ga kit lying around that I used for that amp before. Should I bump that up to the 8 or will my 10 work?

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:15 PM
Yeah we definitely have 6x9's in the kx speakers. Right now, trying to sell sell sell to make room for the 2012 stock. So prices are real nice. Ill pm you since I can't advertise publically what I can sell them at right now lol.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:48 PM
Sure man, I'll be on the lookout for it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search