Quick gascap question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quick gascap question
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:02 PM
I purchased a locking gascap for my 03 sunfire and about 2 weeks after i bought it, my check engine light came on. I scanned it and got the code PO440. something to do with fuel evaporation or something and figured it was the gas cap, anyone know if that light being on (which has actually burnt out so is no longer annoying) will adjust any settings in the car that will make it harder on gas?

Re: Quick gascap question
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:51 PM
the fan will be on 24/7 while it's on, putting an added strain on the electrical system, (and because of this more parasitic drag from the alternator causing a very minute decrease in mpg) otherwise no, it won't change anything.

car audio noob since 1984.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:57 PM
any way to "trick the system" and turn the light out or should i just reinstall the original gas cap? if that even is the problem, which i dont think it is because the light didnt come on for weeks after i put it on there and it comes on 2 key cycles after i clear it with a cheap OBD tool
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:12 PM
It runs an evap test and finds a leak after new gas cap has been installed.... good chance it's the cap. Make sure you twist it on real good when you fill up

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search