Some ground, amp and hu questions - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Some ground, amp and hu questions
Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:20 PM
I'm revamping my system and doing it all rather then pay for simple things to be done. I never did the big 3 yet so that's first. I'm adding a 4 channel amp to my already existing system.

For this of you that run a mono and 4 channel, is ur ground the same for both amps? Or different? Which is recommended? If I remove the dash and whatnot that gives me access to the deck and it should just slide out? Correct? From there I just add my rem, 4 ch rcas and run speaker wire from the amp to each speaker in the deck? If that makes sense. I've never amped my speakers, so doing it is all new to me and I would love the help.

FREE-DOM

Re: Some ground, amp and hu questions
Sunday, March 04, 2012 5:25 AM
That's right! Do-it-yourself-ers! I'm new to car audio myself but I'll try to answer your questions. The guys here will correct me if I steer you wrong I'm sure.

I recently (as in last month) amped my inside speakers (rear only for now) for the first time ever so the info is fresh in my head.

From lots of online searching, I've found differing opinions on whether to give the amps the same ground or not. It makes sense to me that the sub and internal amps are grounded at separate spots seeing how they are getting two separate inputs sound-wise.

For radio access in my Sunfire, all I have to do is open the glovebox and remove the two screws holding the plastic cover piece on then wiggle it out to get access to the HU. The RCAs are ran from the HU to the amp and it is advisable to run them on the other side of the car from the amp's power wire to avoid electrical interference resulting in unwanted engine noise. From experience, I had them on the same side and was fighting noise until I moved them.

Good luck!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
My Car Website
http://www.theallin1der.com

My Cardomain Page
http://cardomain.com/ride/3108332

Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:46 AM
I guess for the folks in 04 or 05 cavs is extra helpful.

^^ so u grounded your amps at 2 separate spots? And it's ok to run new rcas next to my rcas for my mono amp? That won't cause any interference or anything like that?
Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:57 AM
Yep. I've got 2 separate grounds. Works great. No noise. Just be sure to scrape the paint and make the most secure connection you can. I used terminals from an electrical wiring kit from Advanced. Specifically, I used a loop and held it down with a bolt and a washer in the spare tire well.

From what I gather, the magnetic interference is caused by current in the power wire so I'd say RCAs are fine to run together regardless of what frequency they're transmitting. Just keep 'em away from that current.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
My Car Website
http://www.theallin1der.com

My Cardomain Page
http://cardomain.com/ride/3108332

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:01 PM
so for the big 3, I've noticed some people using a fuse and fuse block. I am to have a fuse block for the big 3, as well as one for my power to amp?

FREE-DOM
Monday, March 05, 2012 12:11 AM
tim moretz wrote:For this of you that run a mono and 4 channel, is ur ground the same for both amps? Or different? Which is recommended?

Some say amps should ideally be grounded at the same point when possible to avoid a ground loop, different grounds means different resistance and potential. Alpine recommends common grounds with the most power hungry amp on the bottom, that's how my system is set up and its all gravy. Wire should be the same thickness as the power wire.

tim moretz wrote:If I remove the dash and whatnot that gives me access to the deck and it should just slide out? Correct?

Yes, after removing the screws that hold it in.
tim moretz wrote:From there I just add my rem, 4 ch rcas and run speaker wire from the amp to each speaker in the deck?

Yes, and a power wire with a proper size inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

tim moretz wrote:And it's ok to run new rcas next to my rcas for my mono amp? That won't cause any interference or anything like that?

Its fine

tim moretz wrote:so for the big 3, I've noticed some people using a fuse and fuse block. I am to have a fuse block for the big 3, as well as one for my power to amp?

You really should fuse all power wires, but for sure fuse the alt to battery wire and the power wire for the amp.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:33 PM
Anyone have any working pics from an 04 big 3 install? A friend and I was checking mine out, and it seems like the alt is in an awkward position to be able to do it.

FREE-DOM
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:48 PM
tim moretz wrote:Anyone have any working pics from an 04 big 3 install? A friend and I was checking mine out, and it seems like the alt is in an awkward position to be able to do it.

It is in an awkward position, usually have to remove the manifold to have room to work.

Why do you figure you need to do the big 3? How much power are you looking to pull?

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:10 PM
bradsk88 wrote:
tim moretz wrote:Anyone have any working pics from an 04 big 3 install? A friend and I was checking mine out, and it seems like the alt is in an awkward position to be able to do it.

It is in an awkward position, usually have to remove the manifold to have room to work.

Why do you figure you need to do the big 3? How much power are you looking to pull?

1600 watt rubicon and 200 watt kicker 4 channel. on stock electrical, so big 3 is needed for sure
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:07 PM
If you are mounting the amps close to each other you could just run a wire from the existing amp to the new amp to turn it on. For ground I would just buy a distribution block, easy and inexpensive
Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:15 PM
Anyone know what size torque screw is on the dash? By the deck and to remove the dash?

Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:19 PM
Easiest way is to use a 7mm (9/32) nut setter.

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:39 AM
Still looking for some working pics on an 04 big 3 install if anyone has any. Or fill me in on how u did it with a negative battery terminal on a side post battery. Positive also if anyone has any info
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search