Different subwoofer sizes? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Different subwoofer sizes?
Monday, March 19, 2012 3:28 AM
Just curious if you could have 2 different subwoofer sizes in your car and make it sound ok. for example, two 8" subs and one 15". Or two 10's and one 15.

they would be on different amps. I am just wondering if you could make it work by tuning each amps to play freaquencies so they dont clash with eachother. Say limiting the 8's to 50 hz and up and the 15 to anythign lower.

I have looked this up and everyone seems to say DONT mix subwoofer sizes. I understand it for the most part, just wondering if you could make it work by tuning the amps properly. The main reason is only a 15 would limit the low freaquencies as they dont hit the higher nots nearly as well.

Or am I totally wrong saying this, and a single 15 can sound just perfect?

Thanks guys.

Re: Different subwoofer sizes?
Monday, March 19, 2012 9:58 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lot of people with 15 and 18s use smaller subs to get more midbass.
Monday, March 19, 2012 11:24 AM
Having dedicated midbass drivers and having multiple subwoofer sizes are different situations all together. Also, You can easily get awesome performance out of something such as a 15 throughout the low end frequency range. It's a lot more in tuning and box specifications than you might think.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:43 PM
I don't want my midbass to come out of my trunk.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:37 PM
Sean Clair wrote:Just curious if you could have 2 different subwoofer sizes in your car and make it sound ok. for example, two 8" subs and one 15". Or two 10's and one 15.

they would be on different amps. I am just wondering if you could make it work by tuning each amps to play freaquencies so they dont clash with eachother. Say limiting the 8's to 50 hz and up and the 15 to anythign lower.

I have looked this up and everyone seems to say DONT mix subwoofer sizes. I understand it for the most part, just wondering if you could make it work by tuning the amps properly. The main reason is only a 15 would limit the low freaquencies as they dont hit the higher nots nearly as well.

Or am I totally wrong saying this, and a single 15 can sound just perfect?

Thanks guys.

i think what a lot of people mean is dont run different sized sub woofers in the same box

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:49 PM
No, we mean don't run different sized subs in the same car, bubba.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:41 PM
Cool, thanks guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search