MPG calculator? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MPG calculator?
Friday, April 06, 2012 7:07 PM
Is there something that I can plug in to my OBDII port, or install in my car, that will give me a reading on what my mpg is? (instant(while driving) and average) The deepest I've gone into electronics is installing head units, and speakers. So I don't even know what to call what I am looking for.

#1I've been told that some GPS navigation units have it, is that true? How does it know how much gas you are using vs distance traveled? If something like this is out there, does anyone know what kind I should be looking for?

#2I've been told to get a standalone system. I don't even know what this is, but just from other people talking about them, it seems like way more than I need for my purpose.
I'm just interested in the effects of weight reduction, and lowering the Cd on the gas mileage. This is why I would like something to give me an accurate actual reading, and even if it isn't 100% accurate, it will give me a baseline to see how much improvement I am gaining as I am working on it.

Re: MPG calculator?
Friday, April 06, 2012 8:00 PM
Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:16 AM
Have you used either of them? They seem like they'll give me the information I need. Which would you recommend? Just by looking at them side by side I would pick the scan gauge for the shear reason that the buttons are on the front and I could mount it flush in the dash somewhere. The ultra gauge looks like it has buttons on the back
Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:59 AM
Most factory installed(Such as BMW) real-time MPG gauges are a crock of @!#$. Sorry but it can't be accurate. They take throttle percentage, load, injector flow, etc and calculate it that way. If you are off the gas, it says you're getting 50+, if you're flat footed, it says you're getting 3. That kind of gauge fluctuates so rapidly it's impossible to give an accurate real-time reading. It's just "This is what your gas mileage would be if this exact condition persisted". An average MPG reading is possible, but at the same time, why? Fill the tank+reset your trip. Drive like you normally would for a week or a few days. Refill, calculate the number of gallons you add with the number of miles driven, bam you have an exact measurement. Why do you need the car to tell you something so trivial all the time?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:00 PM
lol it may be trivial and useless to you, but to me that information is important.
Just as in comparison, having a 2000$ audio system seems useless to me. Why would you pay so much for something that barely anyone is going to see or care about, other than internet or friends and family bragging rights, or parking lot rubber neckers? and(at least around pittsburgh) you can't even turn it up the whole way and fully utilize what you put in the car without getting a ticket. But thats what you enjoy doing with your car, and thats cool lol to each his own.
My next project involves reshaping, and weight reduction. So this information for me, whether accurate or not, is very valuable because it will provide a baseline for me to know how much improvement I'm getting through each step/the whole process.
Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:02 PM
and i wasn't necessarily saying YOU you are spending that much on audio in your car, that was just an example since we are in what appears to be primarily the audio section lol no attack intended.
Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:59 AM
Music is something I love and I spend more of my awake time driving than at home. So making my music sound as crisp, clean, and good in the car is important. It has nothing to do with being as loud as I cam as often as I can. As for how meaningless the MPG thing is, I still mean it for real-time gauges. Again, they simply say "if you kept your foot where it is now, this is what you'd get". Its a gauge that just bounces back and forth all day. Calculating by miles driven between fuel-ups is accurate. Period.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search