Accessory Outlet Rewire - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Accessory Outlet Rewire
Monday, April 16, 2012 11:12 PM
Is it possible to rewire the accessory outlet to only be hot when the ignition is set to on or accessory? Like the radio. Having it hot all the time seems really dumb to me and would like to change it if possible.

Anyone done this before?

It's more of a convenience thing. Not having to unplug my car charger/radar detector would be nice. Not that my battery will die overnight.

Re: Accessory Outlet Rewire
Monday, April 16, 2012 11:20 PM
Your radar detector or cell phone charger are going to take a LOT longer than a single over-night to drain your battery to any concern if you simply leave them plugged in. I don't see the point in getting in there and changing the wiring simply because "it seems really dumb" the way the factory built the car.....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:23 AM
I wouldn't mind having ny radar detector hardwired in so it is only on with ign. Just been too lazy to wire it up. Mine does automatically turn off after like 8 hours or something but I don't remove it when I park my car at night and don't want a bright light in the dash saying steal me. So I know it is a pain to unplug it all the time.
Do you use the factory outlet, not sure if this is a common problem but my radar detector and charger cord don't stay plugged into it, they pop out... I bought a dual outlet thing with a cord that I was planning on hardwiring but it stayed in the factory spot so I just left it like that. But maybe that would be an idea for you, get a dual outlet or something and hardwire that in. If you don't want to hardwire the radar. I move the radar into the wife's car when we travel so I didn't want to cut the cord up.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:55 AM
Of course it is possible. But if you have to ask, you probably don't have the know-how to do it (YET)

Spend some time on http://www.bcae1.com

In a similar way, I currently have my radio wired up to come on when you put the key in the ignition (VW style) but still shut off on crank. All it took was a relay, 3 wire taps and a ground.
Manything is possible.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:07 PM
I have my radar wired to be key on only... mostly a convenience thing I guess. It really doesn't matter if its on or not for me either, but I don't like the cord hanging down the dash so I added an extra port inside the dash to run the wire to, i figured if I was adding another port I might as well wire it to be key on... I am wanting to know more about this radio on when the key is put in... or at least the thing to keep the radio on till I open the door would be nice.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:56 PM
Pretty much anything can be done, need to be good with relays and that but yeah, there is a way to make it stay on, and then as soon as the dome light goes on or door trigger, it can trip a relay and turn it off.
That site posted above seems like lots of good info, 12volt.com has lots of how tos with relays to, not sure if it's one that would work but you could try.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search