Wiring Power Inverter to Ignition - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wiring Power Inverter to Ignition
Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:01 AM
I am installing a power inverter in the trunk and want to wire it to the ignition to avoid having to manually turn it on and off. This is how its currently ran.

What would be the best approach on doing this?

Re: Wiring Power Inverter to Ignition
Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:43 PM
does it have a separate on/off signal wire like an amp? if so, run that wire to your wiper fuse. if not, depending on the amp draw of the inverter, run a relay or solenoid fed by the battery and triggered by the wiper fuse.

car audio noob since 1984.
Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:06 PM
Id run from a switched source to a relay and then from the relay to your inverter.
Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:34 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:does it have a separate on/off signal wire like an amp? if so, run that wire to your wiper fuse. if not, depending on the amp draw of the inverter, run a relay or solenoid fed by the battery and triggered by the wiper fuse.

It does not. This is what im running Cobra Inverter

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:23 PM
If that thing has a power switch you can tear it apart and wire it up that way, otherwise you need a heavy duty solenoid to switch the power feed going to the inverter.

If you want to go that route go to a tractor implement (being serious here) like Case IH ( I work at one) and get a "cab solenoid" for a 7130 tractor. it is made to switch constant power with heavy draw without overheating and etc. The only flaw i see to this plan is.. well that solenoid costs like 4x as much as that cobra inverter so I doubt your going to go that exact route.. Oh well. thats my two cents.

Have a nice day.
Friday, September 21, 2012 6:53 AM
So after some thought. Im going to tap into the switch contacts and run a relay off the ignition. That way it flicks the power on and off.

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:41 AM
So heres what i got. Not 100% sure im right but maybe someone can correct me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search