New pro installed head unit won't work in the accesory position. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New pro installed head unit won't work in the accesory position.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:23 AM
Hey guys,
A couple days ago I got a new head unit installed to replace the original factory one. I had the stereo installed by a shop and it doesn't work with the key turned to the accessory position. It works fine in the on position and when running. Does anyone know if this unit it wired up correctly or did the guy who installed my new head unit forget to hook up something?

Re: New pro installed head unit won't work in the accesory position.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:38 AM
Are you talking about when you turn your key backwards?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:22 AM
it sounds like he tied the headunit's "switched power" into a circuit that is not hot in acc.

it'd be as simple as switching that wire to one that is hot in acc, and run (but not start) which is usually listed as "ignition 2" and the wires that feed this are typically YELLOW.

its not that he did it incorrectly, it's just a matter of it not being your preference.

go back and ask the guy that you'd like the stereo to be on a circuit that's hot in acc as well.

red / orange wires = hot at all times
pink = ignition 1 (hot in run, bulb test, and start)
yellow = ignition 2 (hot in run, acc)
brown = ignition 3 (hot in run only)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:30 AM
To add, (as a pro installer myself) they should not charge you extra to do this.
Usually hooking it up as it is will be acceptable by the customer, so sometimes people do it. But the correct way for them to have installed it is by going to a proper accessory power feed.

Monday, October 01, 2012 10:26 AM
I just took it back to get it fixed today. He told me that I would need a different (more expensive) wire harness in order for this to work. He said the best thing he could do is hook the stereo up to constant hot with a switch, so I told him to go ahead and do that. Seems to work fine. I just have to remember to switch the stereo off when I leave the car.
Monday, October 01, 2012 11:16 AM
What "pro" did this??? There are a ton of accessory wire options even just at the fuse box. Wiring it constant is even LESS professional than how it was. You don't need the expensive harness to do this right.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, October 01, 2012 5:37 PM
Exactly what JL said... in the fusebox you have wipers power windows, Even one labeled accessory! How hard is it to find one of those?

Take it back and have them wire it to the wiper fuse circuit. Or a similar switched/acc power

I would also ask for a portion of my money back for the inconvenience.

Have a nice day.
Monday, October 01, 2012 6:39 PM
Or at the very least, avoid them the next time you choose to get stereo work done.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:29 PM
Does this "pro" work at Best Buy?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search