HID's wont work! help please! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID's wont work! help please!
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:19 AM
Ok so i havent posted on here in a long time now and i feel kindof guilty coming back and asking for help since i havent contributed anything in a while. But I am at my witts end with my hid kit. First it started that they just wouldnt turn on after having them installed in the car for over a year and everything working fine. I took it to a local shop and they said the problem was the "trigger wire" as they called it coming out of the cars wiring harness was broke somewhere in the harness and was not giving enough voltage. Instead of paying for a few hours labor to trace the wires they just spliced into the parking lights. All went well for about a week and then they started turning on and off on their own. By the time i got home from work they were going on an off so fast it was like strobe lights. I took the battery out and recharged it and when i put it back in the lights would not turn on at all. I replaced all of the wiring and both bulbs. I bought one new ballast and tried it on both sides and still nothing. I tested the parking light trigger wire and that has plenty of voltage to it. Where do i check next? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Re: HID's wont work! help please!
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:51 AM
Double check your grounds, and are you running a relay harness?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:24 AM
I just installed mine last night on my truck.
How about a capacitor for the inital power draw.
I would also buy something with lifetime warrranty.
Awesome HID Retailer
I have dealt with them for 2 years now, and they have prompt email responce,
and no question asked warranty policy.
I just put in the digital 55W sets, and I love them.
I had the 35W Nightvision sets.
I would contact them about you problem.
They sell the relay harnesses, ballasts extensions, time delay relays, capacitor links.

Im sure they will get you set up right.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:34 AM
Yes i am running a relay harness... although all of the wiring as well as the relay has been replaced.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:12 AM
Are you using a OEM switch to activate the harness?
Or do you have an auxilary switch?
Maybe the contacts in the switch werent rated for the proper amperage, and they burned out?
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:31 AM
Nope I am using the stock switch.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:52 AM
Ok, so your trigger wire off the OEM switch is working, as stated originally.
I would disconnect the ballasts and meter out the leads going to the ballasts with the switched turned on.
If those have proper voltage, just continue down the line.
Also, check the pins in the ballast and harness connections.
I have heard of the retainers coming loose.
So when it looks like your connecting them together, they are actually pushing the pins out the back of the connector, and not engaging.
This happened to mine.
This will cause a break in the wiring, causing no powere to get to the ballasts.
Also make sure none of the pins are bent.

Im just throwing stuff out there for you.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:45 AM
When you turn the headlights/park lights on, (which ever you are using for your trigger now) do you hear the relay clicking for your hids? That would probably be the other thing to check besides your grounds.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:59 AM
It is currently hooked up to the parking lights for the trigger now, and yes i can hear the relay click when i turn the switch on. Also last night i happened to be out at my car and i could hear that relay clicking all by itself. I have the main power lead off of the battery but it was still clicking, so i removed the relay for now to try to kill everything until i can work on them again tonight.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search