Amp wont turn on - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Amp wont turn on
Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:29 PM
I hooked up my second amp and it wont turn on with the remote wire but the first one will.... When I jump from the bat+ it will turn on... Whats going on

Re: Amp wont turn on
Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:46 PM
You have a short or a break in the wire to the second amp somewhere. Double check for power in that remote and run a new wire if need be.

Have a nice day.
Monday, October 15, 2012 5:02 AM
switched the remote wires around and the same thing happened
Monday, October 15, 2012 6:23 PM
Might not have enough power to switch both amps

Have a nice day.
Monday, October 15, 2012 9:32 PM
So let me get this straight... the low voltage remote wire turns on amp 1. but when you run it directly to amp 2, the amp doesn't turn on... So I would assume you have a broken connection somewhere inside the amp on the remote turn on terminal or something associated with it... BUT, then you say it DOES turn on when you jump the wire from the remote terminal to the 12V constant wire?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:51 AM
I'm with Jordan. If your remote wire turns on your first amp but not the second, even if you reverse the order of the amps, it sounds like there's a break in you're jumper wire or not enough juice to turn them both on.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:02 PM
yeah it does make sense... im betting the only way around it is to wire it into the back of the radio...
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:41 PM
might be able to just use a fuse tap to an accesory power. or run a wire with some sort of toggle switch from a hot wire to your amp. im sure someone else will chime in with better ideas
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:07 PM
I would take a multimeter and check the voltage being put out at the ends of the remotes. You could try using a relay to turn on the amps and use the remote wire as the switch, then you dont have to run more wires, just add a few and mount the relay.

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:35 PM
I don't understand all you people, and don't think you read what the OP said the way I read it.... someone clarify for me.

What I'm reading is that if he uses the EXACT SAME WIRE that is currently turning on amp one to ONLY turn on amp 2, it doesn't turn on. But it DOES turn on when wiring it hot. I might be reading it wrong, but if I'm reading that right, it has nothing to do with "not enough juice to turn on both amps".

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:12 PM
Lack of information is more of the issues. I threw out a few suggestions based on minimal information provided. He doesnt say what he has wired or how its wired, hasnt checked voltage or continuity to our knowledge. For all we know he has a cheapo remote wire with only 3 strands if wire and just scotch locked the second wire into the circuit. Who knows.

Have a nice day.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:47 PM
The way I understood it he was saying that he had his remote wire hooked directly to amp 1, and a wire from amp 1 to amp 2 and then amp 2 wasn't coming on but would come on when the remote turn on wire was hooked to the + wire on the amp. Then he switched the remote wire to run directly to amp 2 and jump to amp 1 and amp 1 wouldn't come on. I don't see how the remote wire could have enough power to turn on 1 amp but not the other though.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:09 PM
yes kal is right that is how I have it and what ive done.... And my remote wire is from install bay with 8g power and ground
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search