adding remote trunk release? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adding remote trunk release?
Monday, December 24, 2012 9:23 AM
My wife has requested that I add a remote trunk release to her 2001 sunfire. I've seen some cavaliers with a cable driven release. If I can find a junk car that I can pull parts from, how difficult is it to add? Are the parts available new?

is the short cable that goes from the key to the latch on the trunk lid the same on the cars with remote release and without?

Re: adding remote trunk release?
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:23 AM
Get the parts from a car with electric trunk release, install and wire to a push button switch somewhere up front. You can get buttons from a jbody or nbody with the trunk release and make it look factory

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:24 AM
never seen one with an electric release. that does sound easier. What years had those? Would they be compatible with both my 96 and my 2001?

While I'm looking in a parts yard, where is the button? glove box?
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:29 AM
It was an option included with keyless entry. Look for sunfire gt/ z24/ LSS Cav... only 03+ jbodys had trunk release buttons which were mounted to the lower left hand side of the dash. If you get a button from a nbody (grand am/alero) it will be in the driver side door panel. Basically get the trunk parts from a j and button from wherever you can get it.

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:31 AM
if your cars have an electric input trunk release (which im betting your 2001 does) you can wire up the button (which came on 2002-2005 j's). if not, real easy to just swap the electric one in.

im sure the factory probably used a relay of some kind to be anal but really, its just a button. its not gonna cost a lot of draw.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:40 AM
What he said lol. I was one year off with the years for the button. Look see what you have under the trunk... heck my 99z had keyless entry and i didnt know till i looked up the rpo.

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:42 AM
I'll compare the truck mechanism in my 2001 to my 96 and 97. I think they are all the same. none of them have power windows, but the 2001 has cruse control, which means it has at least some high package of luxury.

The previous owner of the 2001 had to have keys made for it, so I have no idea if it originally has a remote truck popper.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:48 AM
oh and thanks for the help guys! I love my j-bodies (that's why I have three of them)
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:00 PM
I have a electric trunk motor/latch.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:46 PM
I put my switch in the glove box, just like my 1990 Z24 had.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:12 PM
just looked, and my 2001 does not have an electric release, despite the fact that it's equipped with cruise control.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:22 PM
lol just because it has cruise control doesnt mean its gonna have an electric popper.

for the 2000-2001 years gm was kind of dumb with the trunk releases. i have both a 98 z24 and a 2000 z24.... the only way to open the trunks on them is either with the fob button or the key. its ridiculous actually. then my 97 z24 has a pull cable... but that car has no other options, not even cruise control.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:26 PM
well I was figuring that any car that was optioned enough to have cruise would have a trunk release. I guess it was a different option package.

yeah, it is strange that there is no electric button inside the car. if you don't have the fob, you are SOL
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:23 PM
I don't believe any of the 3rd gen cars up until something like 2002 or 2003 had an internal button. They added the button around the driver's left knee around 2003. Prior to that you either had the mechanical pull on the floor by the seat or nothing but the key fob from inside the car.

The good news is that if yours opens with the key fob, then you've got the popper and everything in place and only need to add a button, like I did. Easy peasy.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:26 PM
Well, my car does not have anything electric like that, so I guess it means a trip to the salvage yard where I will have to find the right parts.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:37 PM
Ah. When you said "if you don't have the fob, you are SOL" I took that to mean that you could pop the trunk with your key fob. My bad.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:09 AM
you always have the option of opening the trunk with your actual key....

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:32 AM
you're not married, are you?
Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:33 AM
Lol

Have a nice day.
Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:11 PM
my old 98 base cavalier had a lever down on the floor on the side of the drivers seat that would pop the trunk. My 98 Z24 does not have that lever only the button on the key fob to pop the trunk. My cousins 2001 sunfire with pw pl full loaded with everything a SE sunfire could have also does not have anything inside the car to pop the trunk other then the key fob. But my sisters 2002 Z24 has a button down to the left of the dash that can pop the trunk and had they key fob. Button in the car stopped working.
Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:22 AM
I need to sit down and figure out how to get my spal power lock kit to work with my trunk release....

Friday, March 01, 2013 8:48 AM
I put a trunk lever in my friends 98 cavi. All we needed was the lever and cable. His car never came with one, but the latch had the little orange piece needed for a cable, and the screw holes were there for the lever.
Also in my old 99 Z, if my car was running, I could not use the key fob trunk popper. I didn't have a lever either. It was like the button was dead. Had to shut the car off every time I opened my trunk. It got so annoying lol

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, March 01, 2013 10:43 AM
The trunk isn't supposed to be popped while the car is running. Its a safety thing. And i figure why bother with that cable when you can get the electric popper.

Have a nice day.
Friday, March 01, 2013 11:17 AM
I figured it was a safety feature. Now want to put in an electric trunk popper in my other 99 Z. Seems simple enough.

Do the 2000+ have a module hidden somewhere for the key fob? i know 99- does, it's alot easier to find a car in the junk yard with the key fob in it, and just switch the module in your car with that one. Did that to my 99 Z

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, March 01, 2013 4:04 PM
2000+ the keyless entry goes through the bcm. I have a wrecked 99 if you want/need Popper or any parts like that

Have a nice day.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search