Battery Relocation - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Battery Relocation
Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:12 PM
I've been pricing out the stuff i need for a battery relocation to my trunk. I am going to use a distribution block to split up the power in the engine bay for the fuse box and stuff. I found a block that holds 2 ANL fuses. What amperage should I buy?

Thanks!

Re: Battery Relocation
Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:20 PM
As much as your cable is rated for.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:30 PM
I'm going to be running 2 gauge wire. I am going to put in a 150amp fuse. Now would I use 2 150amp fuses or use 2 80 amp fuses? I'm not really sure how these fused distribution boxes work.

Thanks,
Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:05 PM
Try to avoid using multiple fuses for a single wire. If you use two, you're assuming that current will always equally travel through both fuses, which is really really unlikely.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:21 PM
Thanks! I'll just go ahead with a non-fused distro block and put a single inline fuse right after the battery.
Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:49 PM
Does a 200 amp circuit breaker sound about right for 2 gauge?
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:50 PM
Andrew Steen wrote:Does a 200 amp circuit breaker sound about right for 2 gauge?

i have a 250a for 1/0 direct from my battery... 2ga is somewhere in the neighborhood of 175.

car audio noob since 1984.
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:09 AM
Here is my diagram for the battery relocation. Are you going to be going to the track at all? Mine is done up to be NHRA legal but should be easily modifiable to suite your needs if you don't need to pass tech.

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:08 PM
Exactly how I did mine.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:17 PM
I know this is a old thread but just wondering if there is a reason you guys run a second power wire for the alternator? why not just run the alternator to the distribution block in the engine bay?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:08 PM
If you plan on running at the track, you need a switch on the rear of the car that will kill the car... so you need to disconnect both the battery and the alternator output.

If you leave the alternator hooked up to the car... turning the kill switch will disconnect the battery, but because the alternator is still hooked up to the car's electrical system, it will stay running.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:16 AM
Oh okay. never thought of it that way but that makes sense.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search