Subwoofer - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subwoofer
Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:25 AM
Has anyone tried to install a 400 watt rms subwoofer without doing any power upgrades in a jbody like the 1999 sunfire? I don't think its possible to do without problems but i was hoping it was.

Re: Subwoofer
Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:51 AM
Its very possible... I had 1000 watts going to 2 12's in my old car (99z24)

It will handle that power easily as long as you have a good battery.... you shouldn't need any charging upgrades. One thing you can do, though it is not completely necessary (but very recommended) you can do the big 3 upgrade just to help your charging system work more efficiently. (How-to is in sticky at the top of the page)

Have a nice day.
Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:30 AM
Yeah I was thinking about the big three upgrade and i was checking out that sticky earlier it was just i probably wouldn't have time to do it for a while so I was hoping i could get that sub and that it would work until i did my big three upgrade. I talked to the install guy and he said his cousin has the same setup in his cavy that you had in yours but I have been a little scared to try it. Thank you for your help and the timely feedback
Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:31 PM
I have a 10" kicker L3 400rms and a JL audio 500/1 (500watts rms) and I had to upgrade my ground wires, batt to body then body to engine, I just never got around to running a wire from the alt to batt. So I got a "big 2" upgrade. before that, under big bass hits, engine will bounce between 500-1500rpm and sometimes stall while idling. Now, I have not seen the rpm move more than like 50rpms while idling. Big 3 would be better but you have to atleast upgrade the grounds when running an amp. In the wifes mazda 3 with a similar system, I only upgraded the batt to body ground. it stopped the lights from flickering.... doing the 2 grounds on the cavalier used less than a foot of wire and 4 connectors.... well worth it. also bigger is better but anything will help....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Monday, April 29, 2013 5:41 PM
Know this thread is old, I'm running an 800W Boss Audio 12 on a 1200W amp, no problems yet, and it hits hard, have yet to do the big 3 but would recomend doing it. I will be soon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search