Low beams and DRLs not functioning - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Low beams and DRLs not functioning
Monday, April 08, 2013 7:16 PM
Hello,

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE. Last night after work, I turned on the headlights on my car, but the low beams were not working . I was able to switch on the high beams, but not the low beams. I was able to drive with the daytime running lamps on until today. When I shift the transmission into drive, the DRL light on the dash flickers and make a clicking noise, and the service light comes on. I believe this is caused by a faulty headlight switch, but I am not sure if there is any connection between the DRLs and the headlight switch. I know the switch could cause low beams to not work, but I am unsure about DRLs. Would this issue be related to the headlight switch?

Re: Low beams and DRLs not functioning
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:08 PM
If the service light came on you should see what the code is and go from there.

Have a nice day.
Re: Low beams and DRLs not functioning
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:24 PM
The DRL light flashing, and the clicking noise you're hearing (the DRL relay in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash) is what happens when there is a problem with the DRL circuit. The body control module (BCM) tries repeatedly to turn on the DRL relay, and since it's not working right, it turns off, on, off, on, off, on, etc... until it freaks out and puts up the Service (wrench) light. It's not likely anything with the switch.. more likely a burnt out light bulb or a blown fuse to either the left or right headlight bulb.

It COULD be an issue with the wiring... if the harness somehow became damaged (corrosion, previous front-end damage, etc) that has finally given out. Could also be a buggered ground on the harness that runs under the battery tray, common spot for the harness to fail as the batteries inevitably leak and drip down onto the wiring/ground that's below it.

I'd start with the fuses.. there should be two, one for the left and one for the right. If they're popped, you need to figure out why. Then try the low beams, and high beams. if one side or the other is dim, you need to check the bulbs further.

Without a proper GM Tech II diagnostic tool, or something that can read the BCM codes... you can't use a cheap code scan tool as they usually only read the Powertrain codes, not body ones. (eg, if you have a Check Engine light, not a Service light as the DRL's will trip)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search