amp location installs - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
amp location installs
Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:25 PM
A week ago i bought a 2000 Z24 and the am/fm (no tape and no cd) is locked so after i get back to work after vacation i'm more than likley gonna do a new system in the car. I wanna stay AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE....I just want a better sound. Just a new deck, new 6x9's, new door speakers all powered by my Pheonix Gold 50x4 amp.
1. Can i fit 6.5 coax's behind the stock door panels?
2. What suggestions do you have for the 6x9's? Possibly 3-ways, woofers?
3. Need ideas where to mount amp where its accessible but out of the way. I was thinking about under the drivers seat.

Re: amp location installs
Friday, June 28, 2013 8:07 AM
1) Yes
2) 3 ways are always great as long as they are the F-F-M kind.
3) under the drivers seat can work, depends on the size of the amp. The trunk would be better IMO.
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:42 AM
the 6.5's can fit in the doors yes. i bought these MDF adapter plates off some company on ebay. i believe they were like $30 bucks, something like that but very nice. the metra plastic ones are a good idea but poorly engineered for our door panels. unfortunately they angle the speaker up ever so slightly and by doing so it basically rams the edge of the speaker into the door panel. there is always the option of cutting that section of the panel out and making a nice looking grille or something for it though... hell ive seen some people just screw the 6.5 into the door and call it good with no adapter present. long as there is no open space on the sides i dont see it being a problem...

if you can id try to mount the amp(s) under the rear deck. out of sight from thieves and they can still breathe.

if you dont care about the breathing part but still want stealth you can always put the amp(s) behind the 1/4 window plastic panels. i dont know how much room is back behind there but i know scott section8cav on here did it in his car and his amp fit nicely behind there.

teal, what does "f-f-m" mean for a 3 way speaker?

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:59 PM
google it, but not at work.
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:10 PM
HA you sick minded fool. lol didnt even need to look it up. hahaha i thought it was actually some kind of speaker configuration.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Friday, July 19, 2013 8:26 AM
i caught that lol.

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:55 AM
teal wrote:2) 3 ways are always great as long as they are the F-F-M kind.

Well played, sir.

OP, just keep in mind that rear speakers are ONLY for rear fill and in a high quality system aren't even used. I say this only because it's a waste to blow big money on them and you could use that money elsewhere where it counts. For rear speakers good enough is good enough. For the fronts, just like Brad said find a nice MDF ring that's 6.5" and screw/bolt that to the door. Then screw the speakers to that ring. They can be had all over ebay.

If you're going as far as to amp the front speakers I strongly suggest you grab yourself a nice set of component 6.5's. Bridge the 4 channel amp to 2 channels and just amp the fronts. There is a little more wiring involved and you'll have to figure out where you want the tweeters but I PROMISE you will not be disappointed.

With amps I always mounted them to the back of the back seat. That way when I was driving I could fold it down for ventilation and bad@ss looks and then fold it back up when parked so it's completely out of sight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 19, 2013 8:55 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, July 19, 2013 3:03 PM
The best advise for a good front stage is to put an 8 in Midbass in the doors and a set of componets in a pair of Q-forms. Or go with a nice 3 way set of Components 6.5 in the door 4 inch and tweet in the q form.

I miss how much my NT 100 made my Boston Pros sound
Monday, August 12, 2013 1:37 AM
As for amp hiding, when i upgraded the power to all 4 speakers, i hid mine behind the trunk carpet on the drivers side. drilled 1 hole on the top, and a slot on the bottom because i didnt know where to mark the hole, lol. I did a crappy job, and did it as cheap as i could though. Could look better if you tried, and didnt electrical parts together and use electrical wiring for speaker wire like i did lol.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:19 AM
I'm waiting for your car to catch fire. Ray Charles could have done a better job, and he's a dead blind man.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:25 AM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:I'm waiting for your car to catch fire. Ray Charles could have done a better job, and he's a dead blind man.

Oh yeah? Why's that? Nothing is hooked up wrong. All connections are secure and aren't exposed. Haven't had any problems for the 12 months i drove it like this, and the guy that bought it a few months back didnt seem to mind. The car wasn't worth the time or money to do a clean install. Believe me. I'm well aware i did a poor job as i stated above, but there's no reason for you to jump in a post and bash on someones work, if it's not helping the OP, bud.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:28 AM
the blue power wire looks to be exposed....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search