How can I recover the door key chime ? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How can I recover the door key chime ?
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:22 PM
you know, that chime that sounds every time the key is in the ignition, and you open the door, it helps to prevent forgetting the key inside the car

after I got my aftermarket radio installed by some shop, it seems they removed the beep or something, I have no idea how to get it back

aftermarket radio disables the door/headlight chime

found this but fuk too expensive

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS01/Metra-GMOS-01-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

now what

Re: How can I recover the door key chime ?
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:26 PM
actually i dont have on star, so this is the one

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC01/Metra-VT-GMRC-01-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

when i bought my radio, i forgot to buy this, and now i have no chimes, sucks that is so expensive
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:39 PM
Do what I did.
Go to a scrapyard and find cavaliers with aftermarket stereos. Properly take out the stereo by removing the dash. Check to see if it has the door chime module.
If it does, pocket it and walk out.
I have 3 sitting around that I will eventually test to see if they work because my current one trips/resets every once in awhile.
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:48 PM
Popped my trunk and found two tucked away.
Attachments
image.jpg (1844k)

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:52 PM
fuuuu

how would you install that?

$79 for harness sold by crutchfield + i don't know how to install it

not worth it for some chime, everything on cavalier is expensive to fix

i guess i'm just gonna keep my spare key in my wallet and be done with it
Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:28 PM
My way lol.... pull the plastic off your steering column ...step 1 - get or pull out your multimeter ..
step 2 -Put keys in the ignitions and turn the key to the on position ....(the spot it would be if it was running the engine, Not just the radio)
step 3- Using your mulitmeter...test all the wires that go into the tumbler and See what wire has power (when keys are in the on postion) (been a while but i think it was red or yellow)
Step 4- using some wire of the coil ..tap off the power wire from the tumbler and hook it up to the connector or you can pull the wire out and butt connect it ...your choice

NOTE only one wire will turn on and off with the keys in the on and off postions

Expenses

i used the canadian tire dash kit ..same as this one >http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cavalier-dash-kit
costed about $10
also got this from canadian tire...same one again >http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Car-Stereo-Wiring-Connector-94-06-GM/4213069
costed another $10
Also bought a whole coil of 18 gauge wire
costed around $20 ( but like i said it was a whole coil, So i also needed it to wire up other things like my gauges)

Now at this time the chime was $150 from future shop and that was cheaper than gm at the time but still ridiculous in my mine...so yes at the time i was being cheep lol

So before anyone asks ..yes you will lose your chime..BUT THAT IS ALL....Sooo unless your an idiot and leave your lights on or your keys in the car then i wouldn't recommend this for you...

Also before people ask the radio connector you buy will plug right in ...Yes it hooks up to everything you need....So what i explained above is for only hooking up and getting a remote turn on for the deck .....so it has constant for memory..You won't lose the time or anything like that....
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:45 AM
I just bought the scosche kit from Walmart for my 2000 Sunfire Gt. Very easy to install, connect all the same colored wires and plug into harness, Basically has a little black computer deal you plug in. If your shop wired your car correctly should be very simple to do. Everything works like door chimes ect this way
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search