new HO alt. do i need a new belt? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new HO alt. do i need a new belt?
Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:28 PM
Like the subject says I got a new HO alternator and it has an overdrive pulley on it (smaller than stock). It came with a note saying that I may need to get a 1" shorter serpentine belt if the stock belt slips or makes noise. I won't be able to install the alternator until Monday and was wondering if the tensioner will work fine even with the smaller pulley or if I should go ahead and find a shorter one? Thanks for your time!

Re: new HO alt. do i need a new belt?
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:05 PM
belts are like 25$ why not just get the right length? If you can do it yourself than try out the alternator and if it needs it add it. personally I would just get the new shorter belt to be 100% sure it is the proper fit and won't slip at all down the road.

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:07 AM
skoronesa Mark Smith wrote:belts are like 25$ why not just get the right length? If you can do it yourself than try out the alternator and if it needs it add it. personally I would just get the new shorter belt to be 100% sure it is the proper fit and won't slip at all down the road.

once i put it in it was super tight. so i answered my own question on that one. thanks though!

Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:56 PM
did you adjust the tensioner to compensate or put on the old belt?

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Friday, May 09, 2014 8:34 PM
i just put on the old belt and it tightened good. hasn't slipped once.

Friday, June 13, 2014 5:42 PM
Could you post a picture of your new HO Alternator with more detail of the brand it is? I would like to see it because I'm thinking about installing one in my 2001 Cavalier. Thank you.
Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:13 PM
i will pm you as soon as i have some time! will most likely be tomorrow but i have a lot to do to my z.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search